August 2, 2022
Toowoomba mayor Paul Antonio has written to Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Resources Minister Scott Stewart to urge the State Government to make a decision on the future of the New Acland coal mine.
Mayor Antonio said Council was watching the ongoing approvals process for a mining lease and associated water licences with great interest.
“While Council has no role in the approval for an expansion of mining at the New Acland site, it is time to end the uncertainty over its future,” he said.
“The Queensland Government has the authority to declare New Acland Stage 3 a prescribed project in line with all relevant approvals.
“It is Council’s hope that a decision can be announced soon. This will end more than a decade of court battles and delays in approvals that have had a negative effect on the mine’s long-term operations – with several hundred redundancies at the mine in November 2021 – not to mention Oakey township and its surrounding communities.
“If the mine expansion is approved, Council firmly expects that New Hope will quickly revive operations at the site with many more jobs created as a result.
“This will provide a major lift in confidence and business activity in Oakey and the wider community across many supporting industries.
“We know New Hope’s operations will boost our gross regional product and the State’s economic performance.
“New Hope has previously stated they will not use fly-in, fly-out workers, with a preference for workers living in our community, along with a strong commitment to using local suppliers and contractors.”
- QRC Urges MPs To Stop Stalling
- Acland Expansion A Step Closer
- Acland Mine ‘Greenwashed’
- Miner To Restore Koala Habitat
- Acland Gets Tick From Land Court
- Acland Stage 3 ‘A Priority’
- High Court To Hear Acland Appeal
- High Court Key To Acland
- Acland May Go To High Court
- ‘No Further Barriers’ To Mine Approval
- New Hope Blamed For Lost Jobs
- LNP To Fight For Acland Jobs
- Acland Sent Back To Land Court
- Axe Falls As Acland Deadline Passes
- Petition Backs Acland Expansion
- Acland Expansion Moves Closer
- MP Welcomes New Acland Orders
- Mine Sent Back To Land Court
- New Hope Launches Acland Review
- Acland Farmers Celebrate Small Win
- New Hope Seeks Review Of Acland Coal Mine Ruling
- MP Urges Premier To Ignore Acland Ruling
- Court Rules Against Acland Expansion
- Lock The Gate Says Mine Threatens Water Supplies
- Step Closer For Acland Mine
- Water Decision ‘To Cost 700 Jobs’
- Mayor Calls For Acland Expansion
- MP Rejects Mine ‘Hypocrisy’
- Court Bid To Stop Acland Expansion
- New Hope Coal ‘Paying Acland Royalties To Itself’
- 1300 Objectors To Mine Expansion
- Petition Supporting Mine Presented To Parliament
- Anti-Mine Group Praises Acland ‘Review’
- First Tick For New Acland Coal Mine
- Anti-Mining Group Releases Acland Report
- Have A Say On New Acland
- Terms Fixed For New Acland Mine
- Call For Comments On New Acland Expansion
- New Hope For Acland Miners