February 11, 2020
The State Government’s decision on the future of New Hope’s Acland Stage 3 coal mine is still awaiting the outcome of legal action.
Speaking to reporters in Toowoomba on Tuesday, Natural Resources Minister Dr Anthony Lynham said there was still a possible High Court appeal in play.
The group opposing the mine expansion, the Oakey Coal Action Alliance, sought leave to appeal to the High Court in December last year.
This followed the dismissal of action in the Queensland Court of Appeal in September and orders handed down in October.
At that time, a spokesperson for the New Hope Group said there were no further barriers to the State Government now giving final approvals for the project.
“The company now calls on the Queensland Government to immediately grant the required mining leases, associated water licence and approval for the continued use of the Jondaryan loadout facility,” a company spokesperson said.
However, Dr Lynham said on Tuesday the State Government was waiting for the High Court to decide whether it would allow the appeal.
If the appeal was not allowed, he would consider the New Hope applications.
- Acland May Go To High Court
- ‘No Further Barriers’ To Mine Approval
- New Hope Blamed For Lost Jobs
- LNP To Fight For Acland Jobs
- Acland Sent Back To Land Court
- Axe Falls As Acland Deadline Passes
- Petition Backs Acland Expansion
- Acland Expansion Moves Closer
- MP Welcomes New Acland Orders
- Mine Sent Back To Land Court
- New Hope Launches Acland Review
- Acland Farmers Celebrate Small Win
- New Hope Seeks Review Of Acland Coal Mine Ruling
- MP Urges Premier To Ignore Acland Ruling
- Court Rules Against Acland Expansion
- Lock The Gate Says Mine Threatens Water Supplies
- Step Closer For Acland Mine
- Water Decision ‘To Cost 700 Jobs’
- Mayor Calls For Acland Expansion
- MP Rejects Mine ‘Hypocrisy’
- Court Bid To Stop Acland Expansion
- New Hope Coal ‘Paying Acland Royalties To Itself’
- 1300 Objectors To Mine Expansion
- Petition Supporting Mine Presented To Parliament
- Anti-Mine Group Praises Acland ‘Review’
- First Tick For New Acland Coal Mine
- Anti-Mining Group Releases Acland Report
- Have A Say On New Acland
- Terms Fixed For New Acland Mine
- Call For Comments On New Acland Expansion
- New Hope For Acland Miners