Natural Resources Minister Dr Anthony Lynham

February 11, 2020

The State Government’s decision on the future of New Hope’s Acland Stage 3 coal mine is still awaiting the outcome of legal action.

Speaking to reporters in Toowoomba on Tuesday, Natural Resources Minister Dr Anthony Lynham said there was still a possible High Court appeal in play.

The group opposing the mine expansion, the Oakey Coal Action Alliance, sought leave to appeal to the High Court in December last year.

This followed the dismissal of action in the Queensland Court of Appeal in September and orders handed down in October.

At that time, a spokesperson for the New Hope Group said there were no further barriers to the State Government now giving final approvals for the project.

“The company now calls on the Queensland Government to immediately grant the required mining leases, associated water licence and approval for the continued use of the Jondaryan loadout facility,” a company spokesperson said.

However, Dr Lynham said on Tuesday the State Government was waiting for the High Court to decide whether it would allow the appeal.

If the appeal was not allowed, he would consider the New Hope applications.

Related articles:


Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.