Art Exhibiftion Opening - Wondai
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery on the roundabout at Wondai will be opening their seventh monthly exhibition for 2014 with a wine and cheese tasting at 6:00pm tonight. This month the gallery will be hosting the annual South Burnett High School Art Competition, and the gallery will be full of works by South Burnett high school students competing for a range of cash prizes in both junior and senior divisions. There'll be sections for 2D art (paintings), 3D art (sculpture, pottery and paper mache) and Interpretative Indigenous-Inspired Art. As usual, tonight's opening will also feature great hot and cold finger foods and punch, along with wine tastings from a South Burnett winery, live entertainment and lots of fun socialising. Admission is $5 and everyone is welcome to attend. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926. Note: After tonight's opening the exhibition will remain on show from 10:00am to 4:00pm daily until the end of the month.
Benarkin To Linville Rail Trail Walk RSVP Deadline
- Today is the last day you can book tickets for this Sunday's community walk along the Blackbutt Rail Trail from Benarkin to Linville (see entry that day for all details).
Country Music Practice Night - Nanango
- The Nanango Country Music Friends will be holding their weekly practice night at the Wesleyan Church in Cairns Street, Nanango at 6:30pm this evening. The group is open to people of all skill levels who enjoy playing country music, and you can find out more details by phoning (07) 4163-2469.
- The Yarraman Playgroup will be running at the Yarraman Kindy at 13 Toomey Street, Yarraman from 9:30am to 11:30am this morning. Kindy fees are $2 per child plus food for a shared morning tea. More details? Phone Alana on 0411-788-841.
Coffee & Cake Night - Wondai
- Dimities Cottage at 49 Haly Street in Wondai (just opposite the Wondai Art Gallery) will be holding a "Coffee & Cake Night" this evening in conjunction with the Gallery's latest exhibition opening (see entry elsewhere on this page). All cakes are home made and guests can relax and unwind on Dimities' front deck. More details? Want to make a reservation? (not necessary but always appreciated) Phone Dimities on (07) 4168-5744.
Advanced Tai Chi - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy's "Tai Chi For Health" Advanced Group will be meeting at the Kingaroy Senior Citizens Centre at the corner of Avoca and Kingaroy Streets from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. The group meets weekly at the same time and place (except for school holidays) and attendees should bring covered, comfortable shoes and a bottle of water. More details? Phone June on 0419-026-760 or Jan on 0434-891-600.
Men's Shed - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Men's Shed will be open from 9:00am to 12:00 noon and 2:00pm to 4:00pm today behind the Salvation Army's headquarters at 44 Alford Street in Kingaroy. The shed is open to all men who'd enjoy the companionship of other men while undertaking woodwork, metalwork or similar projects or who'd just enjoy a chat. More details? Phone the Salvos on (07) 4162-5246.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their reglar Friday Afternoon Scroungers at 3:00pm. New players are welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363.
Friday Night Darts - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Darts Association will be holding their regular weekly Social Competition Night from 7:00pm to 10:00pm at their premises at Shed 1, 18 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. This is a 3-a-side event with a $5 playing fee, and a fully licensed bar will be operating along with raffles. New players are always very welcome, and the club caters for all skill levels from novice to expert. You can obtain more details by phoning Kurt on (0403) 400-771 (after 5:00pm) or Bianca on (0431) 954-023.
Endeavour Foundation Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Endeavour Foundation will be holding bingo games at Kingaroy RSL from 10:00am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be four jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help people with an intellectual disability. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Endeavour's Kingaroy Kitchen on (07) 4162-2254
Friday Night With The Sultan Of Sax - Wondai
- The South Burnett's very own "Sultan Of Sax" Tom McKenzie will be playing on the rear deck of the Wondai Hotel & Cellars in Haly Street, Wondai from 6:00pm until late tonight. Dinner will be available in the Cellar's restaurant from 6:00pm onwards and pizzas will also be availble too. More details or bookings: phone the Cellars on (07) 4168-5274.
Nanango Readers & Writers Group Meeting
- The Nanango Readers & Writers Group will be holding a meeting at the Country Focus building at 41 Drayton Street, Nanango (opposite Nanango Library) at 9:30am this morning. The NRWG is an informal discussion group for anyone interested in reading and/or writing any form of literature or drama, and it meets on the first and third Fridays of each month. A small meeting fee is charged to cover the cost of tea, coffee and biscuits and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone (07) 4163-1827.
Friday Bingo - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt RSL & CMC at the corner of Muir and Douglas Streets, Blackbutt will be holding bingo games at 10:30am this morning (eyes down). There'll be a $250 jackpot and everyone is welcome. More details from the RSL on (07) 4163-0383.
Friday Social Golf - Proston
- The Proston Golf Club at 81 Brigooda Road in Proston will be holding its regular Friday afternoon social golf competition from 2:30pm this afternoon (tee-off is at 3:00pm). This is a 9-hole social competition where "Proston Rules" give handicaps a completely new meaning. New players are very welcome! More details? Phone (07) 4168-9380 or visit the website
Hivesville QCWA Meeting
- The Hivesville QCWA will be holding their regular monthly meeting at the Hivesville QCWA Rooms in Main Street, Hivesville at 10:00am this morning. Entry is free and members are asked to bring a plate to share for lunch. Everyone is welcome to attend! More details? Phone Judy on (07) 4168-9892.
Friday Social Golf - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway at Kingaroy will holding their regular Friday 9-ers 9 hole social golfing sessions for men and women from 8:00am until dusk today. Everyone is most welcome (including non-members) and green fees are $11 for members or $14 for non-members for the nine holes - but this also includes a card draw for prizes in the clubhouse in the evening (there's also a Jackpot card draw on the last Friday of each month). More details? Phone the Golf Club on (07) 4162-1720
Arthur Nettelfield - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett entertainer Arthur Nettelfield will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm to 11:30pm this evening. Admission is free. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
KSHS School Social
- Kingaroy State High School will be holding their annual school social (this year, with a pyjama party theme) in the school's Assembly Hall from 7:00pm to 9:30pm tonight. Pick-ups and drop-offs are allowed from the Sportys Hall car park only, and parents must come to the Assembly Hall if they want to pick up students prioor to 9:30pm.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 11:00am to 1:00pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $35 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joane on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.