2014 Wondai Show
- The first day of the two-day 96th Annual Wondai Show will be held at Wondai Showgrounds in Baynes Street, Wondai from early this morning through until late tonight (the gates will open to the public at 3:00pm). As usual, most of the morning and afternoon activities will be given over to judging this year's livestock and pavilion exhibits - the Show's main public day is tomorrow. But from 5:30pm this afternoon the South Burnett Kennel Club Championship Dog Show will get underway, followed soon afterwards at 6:30pm with the Show's traditional Stud Beef Young Judges and Paraders Competition. A licensed bar and BBQ will also be operating and the public are most welcome to come along to today's Show activities for free. More details? Contact the Wondai Visitor Information Centre on (07) 4168-5652 (or send them an email) or the Show Society's secretary on (0427) 211-992.
Country Music Practice Night - Nanango
- The Nanango Country Music Friends will be holding their weekly practice night at the Wesleyan Church in Cairns Street, Nanango at 6:30pm this evening. The group is open to people of all skill levels who enjoy playing country music, and you can find out more details by phoning (07) 4163-2469.
South Burnett Wine Appreciation Society - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Wine Appreciation Society will be holding their regular monthly meeting at the 1913 Council Chambers in Edward Street behind the Kingaroy Visitor Information Centre from 6:30pm onwards this evening. Tonight's meeting will feature a tasting of selected wines and everyone is welcome. The Wine Appreciation Society is open to anyone who'd like to learn more about wines and the $10 or so meeting fee covers all wine tastings and nibbles. More details? Email Maxene by clicking here or phone Dafyd on (07) 4162-3899 during business hours.
Inter District Netball Grand Final - Nanango
- The 2014 Inter District Netball Grand Final will be held at the Nanango Netball Courts in Brooklands Road, Nanango from 4:30pm to around 7:00pm this afternoon. The Cadet Grand Final will be held at 5:30pm and presentations will be made at 6:45pm. Everyone is welcome along! More details? Phone Lynn on 0427-379-958 or send her an email.
Cats (The Musical) - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Musical Comedy Society will be holding their fourth performance of the classic Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Cats" at the Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy at 7:30pm tonight. The musical tells the story of a tribe of cats called the Jellicles and the night they make what is known as "the Jellicle choice" to decide which cat will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life. Cats first opened in the West End in 1981 and Broadway the succeeding year, and as of 2014 has become the second longest-running show in Broadway history, and the fourth longest-running West End musical. Tickets for performances can be obtained in advance from Kingaroy Office Central in Haly Street, but will also be on sale at the door. Two final performances will be held tomorrow at 2:00pm and 7:30pm.
Chicks In Pink Breast Ever Brunch - Taabinga
- The Barambah branch of the QRRRWN is holding a "Chicks In Pink Breast Ever Brunch" at the Taabinga Station Slab Hut at 108 Flagstone Creek Road in Haly Creek from 10:00am to 12:00 noon this morning. The get-together is a fundraiser for breat cancer research and in addition to a scumptious feast, there'll also be a multi-draw raffle. Tickets are $15 per head and everyone is welcome - but for catering purposes, an RSVP by Wednesday 27 August would be greatly appreciated. You can make one by phoning Claire on (07) 4168-6136 or emailing her.
KCCI End Of Month Drinks - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Chamber of Commerce and Industry will be holding an "End Of Month Drinks" get-together at Go Learn Australia next to Chutney Mary's in Alford Street, Kingaroy from 5:00pm to 6:30pm this afternoon. This KCCI initiative is a way for members to get together informally once a month to chat about local business topics and related issues outside the Chamber's more structured six-weekly Meet'n'Greets. There's no charge for the first drink and there'll be some nibbles too. More details? Email KCCI Secretary Paul Greenwood by clicking here.
Endeavour Foundation Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Endeavour Foundation will be holding bingo games at Kingaroy RSL from 10:00am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be four jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help people with an intellectual disability. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Endeavour's Kingaroy Kitchen on (07) 4162-2254
Friday Night With The Sultan Of Sax - Wondai
- The South Burnett's very own "Sultan Of Sax" Tom McKenzie will be playing on the rear deck of the Wondai Hotel & Cellars in Haly Street, Wondai from 6:00pm until late tonight. Dinner will be available in the Cellar's restaurant from 6:00pm onwards and pizzas will also be availble too. More details or bookings: phone the Cellars on (07) 4168-5274.
Friday Bingo - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt RSL & CMC at the corner of Muir and Douglas Streets, Blackbutt will be holding bingo games at 10:30am this morning (eyes down). There'll be a $250 jackpot and everyone is welcome. More details from the RSL on (07) 4163-0383.
Friday Social Golf - Proston
- The Proston Golf Club at 81 Brigooda Road in Proston will be holding its regular Friday afternoon social golf competition from 2:30pm this afternoon (tee-off is at 3:00pm). This is a 9-hole social competition where "Proston Rules" give handicaps a completely new meaning. New players are very welcome! More details? Phone (07) 4168-9380 or visit the website
Friday Social Golf - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway at Kingaroy will holding their regular Friday 9-ers 9 hole social golfing sessions for men and women from 8:00am until dusk today. Everyone is most welcome (including non-members) and green fees are $11 for members or $14 for non-members for the nine holes - but this also includes a card draw for prizes in the clubhouse in the evening (there's also a Jackpot card draw on the last Friday of each month). More details? Phone the Golf Club on (07) 4162-1720
RC Racing Under Lights - Murgon
- The Murgon RC Club for radio-controlled cars will be holding its first ever meeting under lights tonight at their racetrack at the Angelfield Aerodrome at the end of Macalister Street, Murgon. Racing will get underway at 6:30pm for 2WD and 4WDs plus anything else that turns up will get a run. Spectators are more than welcome to come along but to take part in the racing you'll need to be a PCYC member. More details? Phone the South Burnett PCYC on (07) 4168-1889.
- The Yarraman Playgroup will be running at the Yarraman Kindy at 13 Toomey Street, Yarraman from 9:30am to 11:30am this morning. Kindy fees are $2 per child plus food for a shared morning tea. More details? Phone Alana on 0411-788-841.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their reglar Friday Afternoon Scroungers at 3:00pm. New players are welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363.
Advanced Tai Chi - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy's "Tai Chi For Health" Advanced Group will be meeting at the Kingaroy Senior Citizens Centre at the corner of Avoca and Kingaroy Streets from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. The group meets weekly at the same time and place (except for school holidays) and attendees should bring covered, comfortable shoes and a bottle of water. More details? Phone June on 0419-026-760 or Jan on 0434-891-600.
Friday Night Darts - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Darts Association will be holding their regular weekly Social Competition Night from 7:00pm to 10:00pm at their premises at Shed 1, 18 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. This is a 3-a-side event with a $5 playing fee, and a fully licensed bar will be operating along with raffles. New players are always very welcome, and the club caters for all skill levels from novice to expert. You can obtain more details by phoning Kurt on (0403) 400-771 (after 5:00pm) or Bianca on (0431) 954-023.
Men's Shed - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Men's Shed will be open from 9:00am to 12:00 noon and 2:00pm to 4:00pm today behind the Salvation Army's headquarters at 44 Alford Street in Kingaroy. The shed is open to all men who'd enjoy the companionship of other men while undertaking woodwork, metalwork or similar projects or who'd just enjoy a chat. More details? Phone the Salvos on (07) 4162-5246.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 11:00am to 1:00pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $35 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joane on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.