Heritage Bank Nanango Film Festival Opening Night
- The three day 2016 Heritage Bank Nanango Film Festival will kick off at the Nanango Cultural Centre in George Street, Nanango at 6:30pm this evening with the Festival's annual Gala Opening Night. This year's special guest star Michael Caton will be on hand to talk about his work, and his appearance will be followed by a screening of Eddie The Eagle (rated PG), a comedy about a British skier who in 1988 became the first competitor to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping. Tickets to the opening night gala are $20 per head and include beer, wine, soft drinks and nibbles, courtesy of major sponsor Heritage Nanango Community Branch. Tickets to the opening night and all the other Big Screen Festival screenings are available at South Burnett Regional Council Offices, by phoning them on (07) 4189-9100, or from Thorps Showcase Jewellers in Kingaroy Shoppingworld. You can also read more about this year's Festival and see video trailers of all the great Aussie films that will be screening this year on our website. Note: A special screening of "The Dressmaker" which is being held at Ringsfield House at 11:00am today as part of this year's Film Festival is completely sold out; there will also be special screenings of the animated comedy "Blinky Bill" at the Nanango Cultural Centre today for local schools before the opening night event. UPDATE 24-May-16: There will now be a second screening of "The Dressmaker" at Ringsfield House at 2:00pm this afternoon.
Kingaroy RSL Bingo
- Bingo games will be running at Kingaroy RSL from 10:00am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be four jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help local good causes. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Seniors Having A Ball - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be holding a "Seniors Having A Ball" exercise class from 8:30am to 9:30am this morning. The program is designed to address the issues that many have with ageing and it's not just for seniors! It provides light exercise to keep the heart and joints moving, improving coordination and mobility. It also provides a beginner platform to start any fitness activity on. As well as physical fitness, it also has a fun social atmosphere too. The class fee is just $4 for PCYC members or $7 for non-members. More details? Phone the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 or send them an email.
Circuit Fitness Class - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be holding a Circuit Fitness Class from 4:30pm to 5:30pm this afternoon in their upstairs fitness studio. The class provides a great workout that will help increase strength as well as give you great cardio exercise, and the class fee is just $7 for PCYC members or $15 for non-members. More details? Phone the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 or send them an email.
Connections Craft Group - Kingaroy
- The Connections Craft Group will be holding its weekly meeting at The Biscuit Tin behind St Mary's Church at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am to around 12 noon this morning. Members are welcome to bring their own craft project, or join in an activity the group is doing. Everyone is welcome and morning tea is provided for a gold coin donation. More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
Friday Night At The Shed - Nanango
- The Shed in Little Drayton Street, Nanango (just next to the Scott Car Park) will be open from 7:30pm until late tonight for local musicians and anyone else who enjoys music to come along, bring their instruments and jam in a relaxed and informal setting (or just sit on the Shed's lounges, listen in and enjoy the wide variety of talent on offer). The Shed fires up every Friday night, has no admission charge and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Jane on 0400-631-677.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their regular Friday Afternoon Scroungers matches at 3:00pm today. A $5 match fee applies and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363.
Friday Night Women's Rugby League - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Red Ants' U14s and U16s women's teams will be playing against Caboolture at T. J. O'Neill Oval in Youngman Street, Kingaroy this evening. The U14s will take to the field at 7:00pm, followed by the U16s match at 8:00pm. A bar and canteen will be in operation and spectators are very welcome!
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers will be available for $20.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:30pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joan on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.