March 19, 2018
A judicial review of last year’s recommended rejection of the controversial Stage 3 expansion of the New Acland coal mine is listed to begin in the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday.
On May 31 last year, after the longest hearing in the 120-year history of the Land Court, the court recommended that Mines Minister Anthony Lynham and other government authorities formally reject the mining leases and environmental authorities for the $900 million proposed expansion.
The Land Court said the project could damage groundwater for farmers for hundreds of years.
“Groundwater considerations are such that the revised Stage 3 project should not proceed given the risks to the surrounding landholders and the poor state of the current model,” the judgment read.
The ruling also considered noise levels, dust and air quality issues, and koala habitat.
New Hope’s action in the Supreme Court this week seeks to send the matter back for a fresh hearing in the Land Court.
Last month, farmers opposing the project had another win when the Department of Environment and Science refused an application by the New Hope Group to amend the Environmental Authority (EA) for Stage 3.
- Acland Farmers Celebrate Small Win
- New Hope Seeks Review Of Acland Coal Mine Ruling
- MP Urges Premier To Ignore Acland Ruling
- Court Rules Against Acland Expansion
- Lock The Gate Says Mine Threatens Water Supplies
- Step Closer For Acland Mine
- Water Decision ‘To Cost 700 Jobs’
- Mayor Calls For Acland Expansion
- MP Rejects Mine ‘Hypocrisy’
- Court Bid To Stop Acland Expansion
- New Hope Coal ‘Paying Acland Royalties To Itself’
- 1300 Objectors To Mine Expansion
- Petition Supporting Mine Presented To Parliament
- Anti-Mine Group Praises Acland ‘Review’
- First Tick For New Acland Coal Mine
- Anti-Mining Group Releases Acland Report
- Have A Say On New Acland
- Terms Fixed For New Acland Mine
- Call For Comments On New Acland Expansion
- New Hope For Acland Miners