
May 18, 2026
CANEGROWERS – the body which represents Queensland sugarcane growers – is calling on the State Government to “publicly and unequivocally” reaffirm its commitment to rebuilding Paradise Dam following recent media reports questioning the future of the project.
Representatives from the association and other ag industry groups met with Water Minister Ann Leahy last week.
A spokesperson said they were told the State Government remained committed to rebuilding the dam and restoring its full capacity.
CANEGROWERS CEO Dan Galligan said the government should now make that position clear publicly to draw a line under growing speculation and uncertainty in the Bundaberg regional area.
“There is clearly a lot of concern and uncertainty in the community following recent reports questioning the future of Paradise Dam,” Mr Galligan said.
“We put that issue directly to Minister Leahy this morning and she reaffirmed the government’s commitment to rebuilding the dam.
“We welcome that reassurance and now ask the government to make that position publicly and unequivocally clear, so the region can move beyond speculation and focus on securing long-term water certainty for agriculture, regional jobs and future investment.”
Prior to the 2024 election, the Liberal National Party publicly committed to rebuilding Paradise Dam.
Related articles:
- Green Light For Early Dam Works
- LNP MPs Slam Federal Budget
- $600m Federal Funding For Dam
- MPs Label Dam Plan As ‘Stunt”
- $600m Allocated To Paradise Dam
- MP Pushes For Action On Dam Wall
- Dam Uncertainty For Peanuts
- Dam Risk Reduced: Sunwater
- LNP Calls For Halt To Dam Work
- Dam Work To Start In April
- Dam Inquiry Moves Into Final Phase
- Free Water From Paradise Dam
- Dam To Be ‘Lowered Not Demolished’
- Dam Hearings To Be Livestreamed
- Paradise Dam Inquiry Begins
- Ex-Judge To Head Dam Inquiry
- Petition Demands Dam Reports
- Push For Dam Inquiry Fails
- Water Releases Begin From Dam
- LNP MPs Demand Dam Answers
- LNP Demands Inquiry Into Dam



















