December 2, 2021
Disaster assistance has been extended to support the South Burnett Regional Council’s flood recovery efforts.
On Thursday, Emergency Management Minister Senator Bridget McKenzie said assistance will be provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
“The local councils of the South Burnett and Toowoomba, Banana, Barcaldine, Goondiwindi, Lockyer Valley, Maranoa and Scenic Rim can rest assured the costs of clean up and restoration will be covered by the DRFA,” she said.
“We continue to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with these communities to assist in repairing the damage caused by these events.”
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Minister Mark Ryan said grants were also available to assist the safe reconnection of essential services for any residents whose homes have been flooded.
“It is essential that all those hardest hit by the recent floods have access to the assistance they need to help them get back on their feet,” he said.
“The activation of the DRFA will ensure these people have the support they need as they return home as the waters recede.
“When it comes to floods, as Queenslanders we’ve been here before and we know we will recover.
“But I would like to remind everyone to remain vigilant around floodwaters and remember, if it’s flooded – forget it.”
The assistance adds to disaster assistance already available in Barcoo, Blackall-Tambo, Boulia, Diamantina and Southern Downs as a result of the widespread flooding earlier in November.