September 30, 2020
The historic Butter Factory engine will be fired up at the South Burnett Energy Centre in Nanango on Saturday morning … the first time it has been run since June last year.
The Heritage-listed engine powered the generator which supplied electricity to Nanango township for the first time in 1933.
It was shifted from the Butter Factory to the new South Burnett Energy Centre in Henry Street when it opened in 2009 and since then has been a very popular display.
The engine was last run prior to the temporary six-month relocation of Council’s Customer Service Centre and Library into the Energy Centre building during renovations of the council offices across the road.
While the engine was out of action, Council took the occasion to perform a service, clean the injectors and extend the exhaust.
Staff from the Antique Machinery Restoration Society of Queensland and local volunteers Trevor George and Robbie Kelton assisted with repairs.
The engine will now be fired up about 11:00am on the first Saturday of every month to coincide with the Nanango Markets.