June 25, 2019
Work will start this week to rehabilitate the site of last month’s tragic Bunya Highway crash.
A mother and her four children died in the fiery crash on May 27, about seven kilometres south of Kumbia.
A Council spokesperson said on Tuesday that after consultation with the affected family, police and the Department of Transport and Main Roads, Council will consolidate the memorials that have been placed at the site of the incident.
Works would also be undertaken to cover the burned grass.
The Council spokesperson said the site has had a significant visual impact which has caused some distress, particularly to school children in the area who travel the road daily.
“Queensland Police have received approval from the family to undertake clean-up of the site which will include hydro mulching burned areas and consolidating temporary memorials,” the spokesperson said.
“The temporary memorials will remain on site until July 19 at which time they will be removed and a memorial cross will be established if the family wishes.”
The rehabilitation works are scheduled to start on Thursday (June 27).
Work to prepare a report to the Coroner on the cause of the crash is still being undertaken by police.