August 22, 2018
Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington has thanked South Burnett firefighters for their efforts during recent fires in the region, but has warned local residents the bushfire season has only just begun.
“Our firefighters worked incredibly hard over the last week and have done a wonderful job protecting our local communities,” Mrs Frecklington said.
“Unfortunately their job isn’t over with the bushfire season only just beginning.
“I urge everyone to remain vigilant over the next few months and prepare their houses and backyards in case of an emergency.
“It could be as simple as clearing leaves, twigs, bark and debris from roofs and gutters, and trimming low-lying branches around the home or yard.
“It’s also vital people have a Bushfire Survival Plan, outlining what actions they will take to protect their family and property if a fire threatens.”
Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford also applauded the “tremendous ongoing effort” of QFES personnel.
He said there had been more than a thousand vegetation fires across Queensland in just the past week.
“Through their hard work and dedication, they have managed to maintain the upper hand in the bushfire battle being waged,” Mr Crawford said.
QFES Commissioner Katarina Carroll said firefighters were doing a terrific job but the work isn’t over yet.
“We’re expecting to see very little change in current fire weather conditions in the coming weeks,” she said.