April 26, 2022
The pandemic definitely pummelled Wondai’s garden art exhibition around for the past two years, but didn’t knock it out.
The 2022 Wondai Garden Expo Art Competition – currently on show at the Wondai Art Gallery – roared back to normal size with three full galleries of artworks and a crowd at the opening night.
The annual Garden Expo Art Competition is sponsored by the Wondai Garden Expo Committee.
It offers $1000 in cash prizes – $900 for adults and a $100 prize pool for three children’s age categories, along with art materials for pre-school entrants.
The competition’s main criteria is that works need to reflect some aspect of gardening in the South Burnett, and it’s always a very popular event.
Gallery curator Elaine Madill said she was very impressed with the entries in this year’s competition, and congratulated all the artists who entered.
This year’s judging was carried out by Mundubbera artist Sue Lederhose.
She said the vast range of styles and media made judging quite difficult, and congratulated both the Gallery and the artists who had entered.
Fans of floral art have just a week left to view this year’s entries, which cover everything from acrylics to oils, watercolours to charcoals, and sculptures to pottery.
This year’s Garden Art exhibition will be taken down at the end of April so the Gallery’s next monthly exhibition can be hung ahead of its official opening on Friday, May 6.
* * *
* * *
2022 Wondai Garden Expo Art Competition Winners
Adults (18 Years & Over)
- 1st – Colleen Helmore with “Azalea Aura”
Judge’s comments: A beautifully soft and emotive art piece, full of a wide range of values and lost and found edges with a dramatic use of colours.
- 2nd – Tony Adams with “Apostle Bird”
Judge’s comments: An eye-catching piece using range of whites and blacks to create movement and drama. A great use of positive and negative space and a hint of colour for the focal area.
- 3rd – Yvonne Imil with “Gumnuts”
Judge’s comments: Beautiful bark work with good use of diagonals to create movement and great detail.
- Highly Commended: Robyn Dower with “Barbed Nest”
Judge’s comments: It’s always a pleasure to see Robyn’s innovative work.
- Commended: Pam Ettridge with “Gardener’s Friend”
Judge’s comments: An ever-catching mosaic, well-designed and executed.
- Commended: Maureen B. Irving with “Dragonfly On Leaf”
Judge’s comments: Good use of complementary colours and design.
Children (4 to 6 Years)
- 1st – Gemma Quirke with “Me Myself”
Children (7 to 12 Years)
- 1st – Addison Cooke with “Light Of Life”
- 2nd – Kieron Lee Cobbo with “Daisy Pot”
- 3rd – Alison Baldwin with “Sunset Garden”
Children (13 to 17 Years)
- 1st – Emily Warry with “Harriet and Herbee”
- Gallery Blossoms For Expo (2021)
- Artists Bloom Despite The Bans (2020)
- Art Ushers In Autumn Garden Expo (2019)
- Bloomin’ Marvellous Art At Wondai (2018)
- Autumn Ushers In Garden Art (2017)
- Gallery Blossoms For Autumn Expo (2016)
- Gallery Blooms For Garden Expo (2015)
- Gallery Blooms For Expo (2014)
- Art Blossoms In Autumn (2013)