April 6, 2020
Wondai Art Gallery should have unveiled the winners of its annual Wondai Garden Expo art competition on Friday night … but like the Expo itself, the exhibition isn’t going ahead due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
But gallery curator Elaine Madill made sure the gallery closure didn’t stop the many entries that had already been received from being judged, and enjoying their moment in the sun.
There was also a total of $1000 in prize money to distribute!
All the entries in the competition must have a flower or garden theme.
Elaine invited well-known artist Sue Lederhose to the gallery last week to judge the entries (don’t panic – they maintained correct social distancing).
Sue is based in Mundubbera these days but grew up at Moffatdale, has a special connection with the South Burnett and was happy to help.
And the winners are …
* * *
Adult (18 Years & Over)
- 1st: Summer Brooke-Jones with ‘Dimity’s Garden’
Judge’s comments: A delightful mosaic garden interpretation showing great skill and creativity
- 2nd: Pat Van Kempen with ‘Cheerful Tulips’
Comments: An incredibly creative collage which shows good understanding of design and the use of complementary colours and tonal values.
- 3rd: Elizabeth Greensill with ‘With Love from Ringsfield House’
Comments: It’s hard to go past Elizabeth’s beautiful artwork which shows her skill and dedication.
- Highly Commended: Lesley Thun with ‘Flower Feathered Friend’
Comments: An eye-catching photo, showing great skill, wonderful light and colour.
- People’s Choice: Maureen Addenbrook with ‘Cicada Season II’
Children (7-12 Years)
- 1st: Angela Young with ‘In My Special Garden’
Comments: A bright contemporary interpretation of leaves/flowers visually interesting.
- 2nd: Shiamber Hedges with ‘My Garden’
Comments: Excellent drawings skills, looking forward to future work.
Children (13-17 Years)
- 1st: Lily Heiner with ‘Vivaldi’s Spring Mask’
Comments: A creative comment on the artist’s pleasures-music and garden.
- 2nd: Katerina Young with ‘Cat in My Garden’
Comments: A delightful piece which tells a story. Good use of complementary colours.