May 6, 2021
Bacon lovers beware … Kingaroy BaconFest is just over 100 days away.
Organisers are promising this year’s event will simply sizzle after last year’s COVID cancellation.
But during the break, there has been one pig change: festival mascot Bacon Man has emerged leaner and looking a lot crispier.
Kingaroy BaconFest will be held from August 20-22.
Chief Baconeer Kristy Board said she was particularly excited about this year’s celebrity chef Miguel Maestre who will be doing cooking demonstrations.
All the old favourites will also be back: the Wine and Swine dinner, Long Table Breakfast, food and local producers’ market, Miss BaconFest Pinup Pageant and Beard of BaconFest competition.
There’ll also be a bacon-eating competition and live music.
The festival will again host the SunPork Smoke-Off, an official round of the Australasian Barbecue Alliance Championship Series.
Ms Board said the BaconFest committee was on track to deliver a COVID-safe celebration of bacon.
“Our committee members have spent an extraordinary number of hours ensuring our plans comply with government recommendations,” she said.
“We’ll be putting a number of precautionary measures in place over the weekend including sanitising stations and extra cleaning services.
“As a result, we’ll be charging a small entry fee this year and asking bacon lovers to pre-purchase their tickets online.
“This will ensure that Kingaroy BaconFest can be part of the Queensland events calendar for many years to come.”