July 24, 2020
A Supreme Court bid by New Acland Coal to wind up the group opposing its plans to expand the Acland coal mine has been deferred.
New Acland Coal applied to the court earlier this year to wind up the Oakey Coal Action Alliance Inc, claiming the group was insolvent due to costs awarded against it in earlier court hearings.
These costs have been estimated at $700,000.
Both parties are currently involved in litigation in the High Court.
In his 16-page ruling, delivered on Wednesday, Judge Peter Davis noted there was a wide discretion in relation to costs.
“Given the tortuous path of litigation … I am not prepared to find that there is no reasonable prospect of the High Court disturbing the costs orders,” he wrote.
Judge Davis ordered the application to wind up the Oakey Coal Action Alliance be adjourned to a date to be fixed after the High Court determination.
- High Court To Hear Acland Appeal
- High Court Key To Acland
- Acland May Go To High Court
- ‘No Further Barriers’ To Mine Approval
- New Hope Blamed For Lost Jobs
- LNP To Fight For Acland Jobs
- Acland Sent Back To Land Court
- Axe Falls As Acland Deadline Passes
- Petition Backs Acland Expansion
- Acland Expansion Moves Closer
- MP Welcomes New Acland Orders
- Mine Sent Back To Land Court
- New Hope Launches Acland Review
- Acland Farmers Celebrate Small Win
- New Hope Seeks Review Of Acland Coal Mine Ruling
- MP Urges Premier To Ignore Acland Ruling
- Court Rules Against Acland Expansion
- Lock The Gate Says Mine Threatens Water Supplies
- Step Closer For Acland Mine
- Water Decision ‘To Cost 700 Jobs’
- Mayor Calls For Acland Expansion
- MP Rejects Mine ‘Hypocrisy’
- Court Bid To Stop Acland Expansion
- New Hope Coal ‘Paying Acland Royalties To Itself’
- 1300 Objectors To Mine Expansion
- Petition Supporting Mine Presented To Parliament
- Anti-Mine Group Praises Acland ‘Review’
- First Tick For New Acland Coal Mine
- Anti-Mining Group Releases Acland Report
- Have A Say On New Acland
- Terms Fixed For New Acland Mine
- Call For Comments On New Acland Expansion
- New Hope For Acland Miners