November 6, 2017
The LNP has committed to spending $50 million to upgrade the Mundubbera-Durong Road if successful at the State Election.
The promise includes a $15 million investment to widen and seal the 11km single-lane section of the road and $35 million for a new bridge to cross the Boyne River Bridge, about 20km south of Mundubbera.
The announcements were made on Monday in Mundubbera by Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington and LNP candidate for Callide, Colin Boyce.
Mrs Frecklington said the commitment to the Mundubbera-Durong Road was a key investment for the region and one which had been needed for many years.
“It’s important for the economic prosperity of the region, in particular for primary producers and transport companies,” Mrs Frecklington said.
“I would also like to thank Cr Kathy Duff for her determination to get this road recognised.
“She has been working for about 13 years to highlight the importance of Mundubbera-Durong Road and the need for funding.
“I personally inspected the 11km single-lane section just south of the North Burnett-South Burnett boundary and it is obvious this section must be fixed.
“To complete the package, the LNP will also deliver a new $35 million Boyne River Bridge which will improve safety and make it more flood resilient.”
This project will form part of the LNP’s $80 million Better Bridges Program which would include replacing timber bridges, safety works on existing bridges, improved signage for motorists and capacity upgrades to increase bridge load limits.
The current bridge is a narrow, one-lane bridge. The plan is to re-align the road to eliminate a sharp, elbow bend and build a new bridge across the river to the west of the current crossing.
Mr Boyce said the upgrades to Mundubbera-Durong Road would create much-needed jobs and stimulate regional communities.
“The Mundubbera-Durong Road is a high-use road for heavy livestock transport vehicles,” he said.
“The $15 million safety upgrade is part of delivering the LNP’s comprehensive $60 million Beef Roads Program.”
Mrs Frecklington said Queenslanders could not afford another three years of Labor which have cut billions of dollars from infrastructure spending over the past three years.