The State Government will commit an additional $200 million to the Works for Queensland program if it’s re-elected on November 25.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Friday her government was committed to continuing the program following overwhelming support from regional mayors and communities.
“Works for Queensland has been a resounding success, delivering 1300 projects and thousands upon thousands of regional jobs,” she said.
“If the Palaszczuk Government is re-elected we will extend this program by adding a further $200 million, bringing our investment in this regional job creating program to $600 million.
“Works for Queensland is an initiative of my Government and – in partnership with regional local governments and the Local Government Association of Queensland – we are delivering projects and jobs.”
Deputy Premier Jackie Trad said Works for Queensland had changed lives.
“This program has supported critical community infrastructure projects. The only way to see this program continue is to re-elect a Palaszczuk Labor Government,” she said.
She said Works for Queensland recognised the integral role that councils play in regional communities.
“I know that by investing in councils, we’re investing in our regions,” Mrs Trad said.
The South Burnett Regional Council has so far received almost $9 million from the Works For Queensland program.
It has used the money to catch up on a backlog of projects that had been deferred due to budgetary constraints.
It stands to receive a further $4.5 million from the latest funding round if the government is returned on November 25.