April 18, 2016
The Kingaroy Concerned Citizens Group will speak at the South Burnett Regional Council Meeting on Wednesday to update councillors about the group’s views on Moreton Resources’ proposed coal mine.
KCCG member John Dalton said told southburnett.com.au not all the councillors, especially the newly elected ones, were present at the Town Hall forum organised by the KCCG in February.
At this meeting, most of the 900-strong audience voted against the mine after a lengthy presentation by the KCCG.
Mr Dalton said the presentation to Council was in response to an undertaking given by the KCCG at the forum that the Minister, the Mayor and Moreton Resources would be all offered a presentation of the issues from the forum and the summary document.
In his weekly update to KCCG members, Mr Dalton said Moreton had confirmed that they would like to receive a summary document of the forum but did not want to meet with the KCCG to discuss the contents.
“As a result of Moreton’s request to receive but not meet to discuss the document, the meeting scheduled for April 21 has been cancelled at Moreton’s request. The KCCG will not be sending a summary document to Moreton without meeting to discuss its contents,” the weekly update stated.
The update also indicated a TV crew from Channel 7 had been invited to film a meeting organised by landholders who had been approached by Moreton Resources to open discussions about acquiring their land.
southburnett.com.au understands that 18 landholders have been approached by Moreton.
These landholders met with a solicitor from Toowoomba at 10:00am on Monday to discuss possible responses to Moreton’s letter.
Members of the KCCG have also sought legal advice from the Environmental Defenders Organisation, a community legal centre which was involved in successfully stopping the Traveston Dam.