January 8, 2023
An elderly man suffered serious injuries when a quad bike rolled at Ballogie on Saturday afternoon (December 7), pinning him to the ground.
QAS critical care paramedics were called to the incident at a private property at 2:50pm.
It is believed the man, aged in his 80s, had been riding the quad bike around the property when he drove through a creek and up an embankment.
He then lost control of the bike, which rolled on top of him.
Family members, who began a search for the man when he had not returned after several hours, found him pinned under the vehicle.
The Land Rover LifeFlight helicopter, which was able to land in a nearby paddock, airlifted the man to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
A LifeFlight spokesperson said the man suffered multiple traumatic injuries.
* * *
Two people were taken to Kingaroy Hospital by ambulance in a stable condition after two vehicles collided near the intersection of Tessmanns Road and Haly Street, Kingaroy. at 9.15am on Sunday (January 8).
* * *
Paramedics transported a man aged in his 30s to Kingaroy Hospital in a stable condition after he was reportedly bitten on the arm by a snake at a private address at Taromeo at 8:06pm on Friday (January 6).
* * *
Firefighters – both urban and rural – were called to a large out-of-control bushfire burning at Ballogie on January 4.
QFES issued a “Watch And Act – Prepare To Leave” warning at 4:20pm to residents living on properties between Chinchilla-Wondai Road, Pryor Road, Memerambi-Gordonbrook Road and Pedersens Road.
Fire crews fought the blaze in difficult conditions due to the high temperatures, rough terrain and high winds.
A bulldozer was called in to clear firebreaks.
At 6:22pm, QFES downgraded its warning level to “Stay Informed”.
Firefighters were called back to the site the next day after the fire escaped its containment lines.
* * *
Emergency services have been kept busy over the holiday break:
- Paramedics were called to a two-vehicle crash on Arthur Street East at Nanango at 7:43pm on January 4. Two patients with minor injuries were transported in a stable condition to Kingaroy Hospital.
- A bicycle rider was taken by ambulance to Murgon Hospital in a stable condition after fall from a bicycle on the Wide Bay Highway at Goomeri, at 3:32pm on January 1.
- A rider injured at the Goomeri New Year’s Eve Rodeo was treated at the scene by QAS paramedics for neck and hip pain and then transported in a stable condition to Kingaroy Hospital. On the same night, a 25-year-old male competitor at the Warwick Rodeo died after being kicked by a bull.
- Two people were taken to Kingaroy Hospital after a vehicle hit a tree on Coolabunia-Malar Road and Cooper Road at Booie about 11:30am on December 30.
- A male motorbike rider was transported to Kingaroy Hospital in a stable condition after a crash on Bethany Street, Taabinga, at 7:07pm on December 30.
- One man was transported by ambulance to Caboolture Hospital after his vehicle crashed into a ditch on the D’Aguilar Highway at Harlin at 10:36pm on December 26.