June 14, 2022
Heavy rain and flash flooding in November, January, February and May have left the South Burnett Regional Council with a $20 million road repair bill.
While the costs will be paid through Federal-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA), the need to extensively document damage at each site is slowing repair efforts.
A Council spokesperson said work crews were only allowed to carry out temporary road repairs where public safety was at risk.
Complete repairs could not begin until each project received DRFA approval.
Because of this, the Council believes it could take until August to inspect all 4400 roads in its 3000km road network and it could take as long as two years to fully repair all the recent road damage.
Since November, more than 2600 sites have been repaired under Emergency Works provisions, with Council staff working overtime and RDOs to address problems.
But last month’s rain means the region’s entire road network needs to be inspected again from scratch.
The spokesperson said repairs would again be prioritised for safety.
Temporary works would remove safety hazards but motorists should be aware that road conditions would remain at a lower standard for some time.
Council has appointed a sub-contractor crew to clear blocked road culverts around the road network. A second crew will join them early next month.
A contractor has also been engaged to carry out heavy formation grading, gravelling and table drain reshaping on 14 roads:
The same contractor will also undertake pavement reconstruction and sealing works on Memerambi-Barkers Creek Road and Nanango-Brooklands Road, with all works planned to be completed by the end of June.
Dig out and repair works will also be carried on the following 18 sealed roads:
Full repairs to another 35 roads have been approved by DRFA. Council has engaged a contractor to carry out these works but a completion date has yet to be set: