South Burnett National Show Society president Craig Lucas was breathing a sigh of relief on Monday after the stop-start Kingaroy Show went off (almost) without a hitch at the weekend.
The Show Society committee had reluctantly announced the event would be cancelled just minutes before Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the “green tick” COVID entry requirements were to be lifted.
It was these requirements that had forced the cancellation, so Craig immediately jumped on the phone and rang everyone telling them the show was back on!
“We had a lot of stuff done before we called it off but there was still last-minute planning to do,” he said.
One of Craig’s first calls was to the Showman’s Guild to ensure there were would be amusement rides but everything went smoothly.
Craig told southburnett.com.au that many people had commented to him that it was the best show they had been to in eight years.
He said the crowds on Saturday and Sunday were definitely up on recent years, although he did not have an accurate figure yet.
There were only a couple of hiccups across the weekend.
Equestrian entries were down and, unfortunately, the weather had made the speedway track too dangerous for the trots to go ahead.
The barrel racing was also cancelled.
But the bullride on Sunday night – a replacement for the speedway – was very successful, with 40 entries.
Craig said the Show Society was now planning to hold a rodeo in September.
The show was officially opened on Saturday afternoon by QCWA Gympie & South Burnett Division Divisional President Janice Jamieson, acknowledging the centenary of the QCWA in Queensland.
She invited everyone to attend the centenary celebrations at the Kingaroy Town Hall on August 27.
Craig also thanked the sponsors and volunteers without whom the show could not go ahead.