November 9, 2020
One of the 123 turbines at the Coopers Gap wind farm will be disassembled after faults were discovered recently during the commissioning process.
The turbine will be replaced with a new unit.
The faults were located during routine inspections and testing by GE Catcon prior to the official handover to the Powering Australian Renewables Fund (PARF).
“During GE’s routine inspection and testing, it was identified that one of the turbines will need to be replaced,” a GE spokesperson said.
“This turbine has been taken out of service while the Coopers Gap project continues to remain operational.”
An exclusion zone has been erected around the tower to ensure safety on site.
During the commissioning process, another fault was also identified with the generators inside the nacelles of 50 of the towers.
These towers are still generating power but GE had concerns about the long-term operational life of the generators.
These components will be gradually replaced.
“GE takes reliability of our equipment seriously and is taking a proactive approach to change out generators,” the spokesperson said.
“We have already commenced planning for a repair program conducted in phases to minimise disruption.”
In 2018, GE CATCON was appointed by the Powering Australian Renewables Fund (PARF) to construct the 123 wind turbines.
PARF is a joint funding venture between AGL and several partners.
An AGL spokesperson said a significant milestone occurred earlier this year when the last of the turbines was installed.
“During the commissioning process, rigorous tests were carried out to ensure the long-term operational capability and reliability of each component,” the spokesperson said.
This was when the various faults were identified.
“All parties will work closely with the landowners and the community during this period to ensure any concerns they may have are addressed throughout this process,” the spokesperson said.
The Coopers Gap Wind Farm can generate a maximum 453MW at full capacity.
- Last Blade Locked In At Coopers Gap
- Rain Pushes Back Wind Farm Date
- Wind Farm Celebrates A Milestone
- AGL Boosts Community Fund
- ‘Biggest Fan’ Visits Coopers Gap
- Inside The Valley Of The Giants
- Coopers Gap Goes Online
- Wind Farm Ready To Power Up
- Substation Ready To Fire Up
- Wind Farm Opening Pushed Back
- Blade Delays Slow Wind Farm
- First Turbines Erected At Wind Farm
- Wind Farm Signs $6.7m Road Deal
- First Components Arrive At Wind Farm
- Joint Push To Fix Phone Services
- Wind Farm Work Well Underway
- AGL Asks MPs For Help To Solve Mobile Problems
- Job Openings At Wind Farm
- KCCI Urges Businesses To Submit EOIs
- Substation Build Gets Underway
- Council Tells Wind Farmers To Pay Up
- Construction Starts On Wind Farm
- Full Steam Ahead For Wind Farm