February 21, 2020
Agriculture Minister and Member for Maranoa David Littleproud is confident the Royal Commission investigating this summer’s devastating bushfires will “give us the answers”.
He welcomed the announcement of the Royal Commission into this Summer’s Bushfires.
The inquiry, announced earlier this month, will be led by former Federal Court judge Annabelle Bennett, environmental lawyer Andrew Macintosh and former Australian Defence Force chief Mark Binskin.
They have been tasked to deliver their findings to the Federal Government by the end of August.
Minister Littleproud said the government had been advised this bushfire season would start earlier and finish later, but the scale had been devastating.
“Lives, property, wildlife and bushland have been lost in what can only be described as a Black Summer,” he said.
“We look to the independent authority of Commissioner Binskin to work through the broad terms of reference and provide recommendations for the future.
“Issues such as hazard reduction, the changing global climate and bushfire season preparedness have been part of the nation’s conversation this season. We need the thorough investigation of this Royal Commission to provide answers to these questions.
“We want to make sure we do the right thing by the brave men and women who fight these bushfires.
“And we want to make sure that the planning and preparation of future seasons are designed to protect the people of Australia, their property, our unique wildlife and bushland.
“The fact that the Royal Commission will finish its report by the end of August shows the Federal Government wants results and recommendations quickly.
“The Royal Commission will give us the answers so we can adapt.”