July 17, 2019
South Burnett Speedway Club wrapped up an exciting 50th anniversary season with a glittering annual awards night on Saturday at Kingaroy Town Hall.
Family members joined drivers to enjoy dinner and discover the final point scores in the various racing categories.
The Town Hall was filled with more than 200 people for the occasion.
The event topped off a huge year for the club which featured close racing, tight finishes, record crowds and the Track of the Year title at the Speedway Australia Awards in Adelaide last month.
Trophies were presented on stage by club officials, including president Travis Barron, vice-president Pacey Clegg and former president Gary Barron.
Gary shared some memories before presenting the Barron Family Trophy for the highest point scorer for the season in Modified Sedans to Toowoomba driver Nathan Macdonald.
Nathan said it was a privilege to receive the trophy, especially during the club’s 50th year.
“I love coming to Kingaroy,” he said. “It’s always a great atmosphere and great racing.”
Gary praised what the speedway club committee had achieved in recent years, especially with the three-day Kings Royal event for Modifieds.
“It’s very, very good for the town; good for everyone and good for companionship,” he said.
Donning his South Burnett Show Society president’s cap for a moment, Gary said it was great to have the speedway at the showground.
“We are trying to make our showground great, but what you are doing with the speedway IS great,” he said.
The other major award of the evening, the Champion of Champions, was presented to Kingaroy driver Nathan Barbeler, who was also the highest point scorer in Street Stocks.
It’s also been a big year for Barbeler, who finished fifth in this year’s National Street Stock titles, raced in Mildura in March.
Kingaroy Town Hall was specially decorated for the 50th year celebrations and there were tables of memorabilia on display, including newspaper clippings, old photos and trophies.
The audience watched closely as a special highlight reel, prepared by Ash Media, of the 2018-19 season’s racing (and bingles) was played after the main awards.
The evening was compered by speedway announcer Damien Martoo, from The Martoo Review, while club secretary Tanya Barron kept things running smoothly behind the scenes.
Judy Crawford, from JC Catering, prepared the meals.
Next on the agenda for the South Burnett Speedway Club is the AGM which will be held from 6:30pm on August 6 at the Kingaroy Showgrounds.
- Related article: Kingaroy Track Wins National Title
* * *
- Modified Sedans (Jack Hams Memorial Shield) – Brett Barron
- Production Sedans – Brody Fraser
- Street Stocks – Nathan Barbeler
- Junior Sedans (New Stars) – Dane Andersson
- Junior Sedans (Top Stars) – Kipp Barron
- Champion of Champions (Marilyn Jack Memorial Shield) – Nathan Barbeler
- Modified Sedan Champion of Champions (Barron Family Trophy) – Nathan Macdonald
- President’s Award – Barry Aberle
- Maximum Effort Award – Brett Paynter
- Club Dedication Awards – Stephen & Tamara Geritz, Wayne Jones, Steven Wheeler and Danny Hurt
* * *
* * *
2019-2020 Season Calendar
- October 19 – Season Opener – Modified Sedans, Street Stocks, Production Sedans, Juniors, Modlites and Wingless Sprints
- November 16 – Spring Spectacular – V8 Dirt Modifieds, Modified Sedans, Production Sedans, Street Stocks, Juniors
- December 14 – Christmas Cup – Qld Super Sedan Title, Street Stocks, Production Sedans, Lightning Sprints
- January 24-26 – Kings Royal 2020 – Night 1: Modified Sedans, Production Sedans, Modlites; Night 2: Modified Sedans, Street Stocks, Juniors, Modlites; Night 3: Kings Royal, Queens Royal
- March 14 – Autumn Nights Spectacular – Street Stock Stampede, National 4s, Super Sedans, Juniors, Lightning Sprints
- April 11 – Sedan Shootout – Modified Sedans, Production Sedans, National 4s, Juniors, Late Models
- May 3 – Kingaroy Show – Modified Sedans, Production Sedans, National 4s, Street Stocks, Junior Sedans, Modlites