July 8, 2019
Colourful fashions and exciting racing brightened up a dull winter’s day at the Wondai Races on Saturday.
The showers lessened as the day progressed and the grey skies didn’t stop the racegoers from having fun.
Four of the five races on the card were sponsored by Wondai’s Duff family, which meant there were many Duffs and Duff relations in the crowd.
Cedric Duff presented the trophies to the winners of races one, two, four and five – with the Raffin family, from Wondai Electrical Services, doing the honours for Race 3.
The Duff name is synonymous with racing at Wondai, and Cedric was keen to emphasise the family has been in the South Burnett for 109 years.
Out on the track, the racing was close, even in Race 2 which only had four entrants but produced an exciting finish.
In Race 3, the judges had to call for a photograph to separate the placegetters as four horses hit the line together.
The only drama on the day occurred prior to Race 1 when Craiglea Lizzy reared up at the barriers, tossing jockey Kelly Gates.
Kelly was taken to Murgon Hospital by ambulance for assessment which caused a small delay in the start of Race 2.
Craiglea Lizzy was a late scratching with bets adjusted.
The next race meeting at Wondai will be held on Caulfield Cup day, October 19.
Race 1 – The Kevin Duff Memorial QTIS Maiden Plate (1100m)
1. Quatro Amigos (4) – Amy Van Der Sanden
2. Buck’s Me Boy (1) – Melissa Cox
3. Cyclone Mia (7) – Hannah Phillips
Margins: 3/4 length x neck
Race 2 – The Lewis Duff Memorial Open Handicap (1100m)
1. Clouds (3) – Matthew Powell
2. More Worldly (4) – Nicole Seymour
3. Al’s Briefs (2) – Amy Van Der Sanden
Margins: 1 3/4 lengths x nose
Race 3 – Wondai Electrical BenchMark 50 Handicap (1100m)
1. Schindler (1) – Anna Bakos
2. My Certain (3) – Jason Missen
3. Warners Landing (4) – Nicole Seymour
Margins: Nose x short head
Race 4 – The Stephanie Duff Memorial BenchMark 60 Handicap (850m)
1. Star Painter (5) – Hannah Phillips
2. Need Finance (6) – Nicole Seymour
3. He’s A Witness (2) – Jason Missen
Margins: 3 3/4 lengths x short neck
Race 5 – The Neal Duff Memorial BenchMark 65 Handicap (1465m)
1. Grande Casadora (3) – Louise Dillon
2. Craiglea Cetina (1) – Matthew Powell
3. Elusive Element (4) – Amy Van Der Sanden
Margins: 1/2 length x 1 1/2 lengths
[UPDATED with correction]