February 22, 2019
South Burnett Regional Council will spend more than half of a $4.5 million grant on gravel resheeting over the coming two years if the project is approved by the State Government.
The money will come from the latest round of the State Government’s Works For Queensland (W4Q) program.
W4Q was introduced in January 2017 as a $200 million program aimed at expanding employment by encouraging Councils to use the money to create temporary work opportunities.
The State Government announced it would tip an extra $200 million into the program in June 2017.
And in early November 2017, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk promised her government would add a further $200 to the program if it was re-elected at that month’s State elections.
W4Q grant allocations are based on location, population and unemployment rates.
Queensland’s 12 largest councils – including Toowoomba – are ineligible to receive funding.
South Burnett Regional Council has so far received almost $9 million from the W4Q program, and will be eligible to receive a further $4.5 million in 2019-21.
However, it must nominate the projects it will spend the money on by March 1 – then get them approved – before receiving the funds.
At February’s monthly meeting on Wednesday, Councillors voted to nominate 13 projects for W4Q funding:
Mayor Keith Campbell said W4Q had been a blessing to Queensland councils, allowing them to catch up on many projects that had to be deferred due to budgetary constraints.
“I don’t know anyone in local government who has a bad word to say about this program,” Mayor Campbell said.
The motion to submit the projects was moved by Deputy Mayor Kathy Duff, seconded by Cr Gavin Jones, and passed unanimously.