November 7, 2018
The South Burnett Regional Council is seeking $4 million from the Federal Government to get its much-discussed Kingaroy CBD Revitalisation plan off the ground.
If successful, Council will add $4 million of its own funds to the project.
At a special meeting held on Wednesday, Councillors voted to apply for $4 million from Round 3 of the Building Better Regions Fund.
Council’s $4 million contribution will be made up of:
Mayor Keith Campbell said the scope of works would be determined by final costings, which were being prepared.
But if possible, the $8 million would be spent on:
The proposal to upgrade Glendon Street with an urban plaza will not form part of this proposal.
Mayor Campbell said Council’s submission would address BBRF’s funding criteria, focussing on job creation and the project’s ongoing economic development benefits.
The application has to be lodged by November 15.
If successful, work would need to be finished and the funding acquitted by December 31, 2021.
During the recent Council “Listening Tours”, Cr Terry Fleischfresser said the revitalisation project would only go ahead if there was an “enormous amount of money” coming in from a Federal or a State grant.
The decision to apply for $4 million in Round 3 of the BBRF comes after Council’s application for $2 million in Round 2 was declined in June.
At its October meeting, Council decided not to pursue another $2 million loan from Treasury which it had included in its 2018-19 Budget for the Kingaroy revitalisation project.
This loan had been based on the Round 2 BBRF application being successful and would have been added to the $3 million already set aside.