June 6, 2016
Family-owned Blackbutt business BSG Civil has applied to join an application to wind up Coal Reuse Pty Limited, claiming it is owed about $86,000 by the fly ash removal company.
In 2014, Stanwell Corporation struck a 10-year deal to give Coal Reuse the exclusive right to remove “coal combustion products” ie bottom ash, fly ash, pond ash and cenospheres, from the Tarong and Tarong North power stations.
John Green, owner of BSG Civil – better known locally as Blackbutt Sand and Gravel – told southburnett.com.au he had been sub-contracting to Coal Reuse from the time Coal Reuse took over the fly ash contract in 2014 to July 2015.
He said BSG Civil had been working 22 hours a day and had five people involved in the job.
“I pulled out when (Coal Reuse) owed us $300,000,” he said.
Mr Green said this figure had since been paid down to about $86,000.
An application to wind up Coal Reuse was lodged in the Supreme Court in Brisbane on May 9 by Morayfield-based company Bulk Granite Haulage (RW & G Johnston Pty Ltd) which claims it is owed $17,000 by Coal Reuse.
The application to attach BSG Civil to this action was lodged on May 17.
Brendan Doherty, from Brisbane debt collection agency Collection Advantage, said he had spoken to about nine other possible creditors – many of whom were in the South Burnett – who claim they are owed money by Coal Reuse.
Mr Doherty said the aggregate of these claims was about $500,000. None of these businesses, however, has applied to join the Supreme Court application.
A Directions Hearing has been listed to be held in the Supreme Court on June 20.
In a separate matter, ABC News reported on Monday that Coal Reuse executive director Rodney Hudspeth is facing bankruptcy proceedings.
Superannuation fund All States Secretariat lodged a creditor’s petition against Mr Hudspeth in the Federal Court on April 20.
southburnett.com.au attempted to speak to Mr Hudspeth on Monday morning.
His representative, Wentworth Hill, said Mr Hudspeth would release a statement later in the day but Coal Reuse “would not be stampeded into getting a statement out”.
However, he said there were inaccuracies in the ABC report.
southburnett.com.au has also sought comments from Stanwell Corporation and the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection.