Tuesday, 02 November 2021
Add your event
Melbourne Cup DayToday is the first Tuesday in November: Melbourne Cup Day. This is a gazetted public holiday in Victoria and an unofficial public holiday virtually everywhere else in Australia. While nearly all businesses in the South Burnett will attempt to trade as normal - and all government and public offices will be open for the daily grind - the majority of people will either be taking a bit of time out or abandoning any pretence of following a normal day's routine from about noon onwards. As usual, the South Burnett will be celebrating the occasion with a number of Melbourne Cup Day functions along with the Kumbia Race Club's annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting (see entry immediately below) - a really great picnic race meeting that's become something quite special to all of us over the years.
51st Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting - Kumbia
- The Kumbia Racing Club will be holding its 51st Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting at the Kumbia racetrack from about 9:00am this morning through until 5:00pm this afternoon. This very popular 5-card event is the only live Cup Day race meeting in the South Burnett and it always attracts a great crowd, though this year - due to COVID Safe restrictions - you'll need to book tickets online (and BYO chair) to be certain of getting onto the course. As usual, there'll be a Fashions of the Field parade for men and women; Dash For Cash foot races; a bar, BBQ, and the Luncheon Hall in operation plus full Sky-TV race meeting coverage, a vigorous betting ring, and big screen coverage of that other race meeting in Melbourne. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for concessions, and a bus will be running from Kingaroy's Carrollee Hotel for people who've booked seats at the pub. More details? Contact the Race Club Secretary on (07) 4163-7200.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Kilkivan
- The Kilkivan Bowls Club in Crescent Street, Kilkivan will be hosting a Melbourne Cup Day party from 10:00am this morning, kicking off with bowls or bingo (your choice) from 10:00am to noon, followed by a luncheon with lots of raffles, sweeps and prizes. Everyone is welcome, but to help plan the catering a booking is essential. You can reserve a place by phoning Gloria on 0416-181397 or the club on (07) 5484-1270
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Yarraman
- The Royal Hotel on the D'Aguilar Highway at Yarraman will be hosting a Melbourne Cup Lunch from 10:00am to 2:00pm today, offering a hot and cold buffet for $30 per person along with big screen coverage of the race. However, places are limited so a booking is essential:
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Blackbutt
- The Radnor Hotel at the corner of Coulson and Hart Streets, Blackbutt will be holding a Melbourne Cupo Day Lunch from 11:00am onwards today. For $49 per head, guests can enjoy a two course hot and cold seafood luncheon including a glass of bubbles or beer on arrival plus big screen coverage of the race. However, places are limited so a booking is essential: (07) 4163-0203
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be hosting a Melbourne Cup Lunch from noon to 2:00pm today (arrivals can start from 11:30am). For $69 a head, guests at this adults-only event can get to enjoy a complimentary glass of sparkling on entry, along with a two course lunch and a 2 hour beer, wine, and soft drinks package from Chain Of Fire Wines and Furphy, plus big screen coverage of the race (the hotel's in-house TAB can take your wagers). Bookings are advisable, though: (07) 4162-1380 or make one online.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Maidenwell
- The Trading Post in Pool Street, Maidenwell will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from 11:30am today (lunch is served at noon). For $35 per head, guests at this BYO event can enjoy 3 cold meats, a range of delicious salads and mouth-watering desserts, sweeps and big screen TV coverage of the race. Seating is limited, though, so a booking is essential. You can make one by phoning (07) 4164-6166.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Murgon
- St Joseph's Catholic Parish will be hosting a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch at the Royal Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon from 11:00am to 3:00pm today. For $30 per head, guests can enjoy Fashions Of The Field and Fabulous Fascinator competitions, sweeps, raffles, a lucky door and live entertainment, along with a great two course lunch and big screen TV coverage of the race. However, numbers are limited so a booking is essential: (07) 4168-1799
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Kingaroy
- The Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch fro9m noon today, offering a fresh seafood platter for two for $55 and big screen coverage of the race. Seating is limited, though, so a booking is essential: (07) 4162-1055.
Melbourne Cup High Tea - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be holding a Melbourne Cup High Tea from 12:00 noon to 3:00pm today. For $25 per head, guests can enjoy a complimentary drink and an assortment of yummy finger foods, along with prizes for the best dressed lady, smartest dressed man and best hat; a lucky door; raffles; and big screen coverage of the race. Tickets can be obtained at the club's reception desk and everyone is welcome.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Nanango
- Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango will be holding a low key Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from 10:00am today. Guests can select their lunch of choice from the club's bistro, then watch big screen coverage of the day's races on all the club's screens. More details? Phone the club on (07) 4163-1375.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Goomeri
- Joe's Grand Hotel in Boonara Street, Goomeri will be running a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from 11:30am today that includes a sweep, big screen racing coverage and a prize for the best outfit. You can book a table by phoning the hotel on (07) 4168-4131.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Wondai
- The Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street, Wondai will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from 10:00am this morning. The event will be hosted by Cr Kathy Duff and will feature a Fashion Parade from Weeping Willow Boutique at 11:00am along with raffles, sweeps, a lucky door and prizes for the best dressed, plus a two course smorgasbord lunch and big screen coverage of the race. Tickets are just $30 per person but need to be booked to help plan the catering. You can book yours by phoning (07) 4168-5297.
Yarraman SES Training Night
- Yarraman SES will be holding their fortnightly training night in the SES Shed at 10 Ann Street in Yarraman from 7:00pm to around 9:00pm tonight. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Fay on 0488-441-429.
Tuesday Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games at the Kingaroy Cricket Club in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) from 9:00am to around noon this morning. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4164-5574.
Tuesday Night Bingo - Blackbutt
- Bingo games will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 7:00pm tonight (eyes down at 7:30pm sharp). These weekly bingo nights are a fundraiser for the Blackbutt and District Tourism and Heritage Association and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the BDTHA on 0458-539-821 or send them an email.
Tuesday Trivia Night - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street will be holding a free Trivia Night from 7:30pm this evening. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Yarraman Indoor Bowls
- The Yarraman Indoor Bowls group will be holding their weekly meeting at the Lutheran Church Hall in McDaniel Street, Yarraman at 9:00am this morning. New members are always welcome. More details? Phone Rod on 0400-523-330.
Line Dancing - Wondai
- Line dancing classes will be held at the Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street, Wondai from 12:30pm to 3:30pm this afternoon. New dancers are always welcome.
More details? Phone Lynette on 0427-752-093.
Wondai Indoor Bowls
- The Wondai Indoor Bowls club will be holding their regular Tuesday night meeting at Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 7:15pm this evening. New players are always welcome! More details? Phone Brian on (07) 4168-5650
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Tuesday get-together today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
South Burnett Chorale
- The South Burnett Chorale will be holding their regular Tuesday practice night at the Church of Christ Hall at the corner of Haly and Burnett Streets in Kingaroy from 7:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. The Chorale meet every Tuesday night during school terms, and new members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Margie on 0424-924-632.
Maidenwell QCWA Meeting
- The Maidenwell branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Maidenwell Hall Supper Room from 8:45am this morning (when things will kick off with a welcoming cuppa) through until this afternoon. The branch meeting itself will commence at 9:30am and all ladies in the Maidenwell and Bunya Mountains areas are very welcome to come along and meet the other branch members! You can get more details by phoning Sue on 0488-987-136 or Glenda on (07) 4164 6137 or by emailing her.
Yarraman Morning Card Games
- Heritage House at 26 Millar Street in Yarraman will be holding its weekly Tuesday morning 500 card games from 10:00am to around 1:00pm today, followed by a light lunch. Playing fees - which include lunch and a lucky door prize ticket - are just $6. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Heritage House on (07) 4163-8111.
Elgin Vale QCWA Meeting
- The Elgin Vale branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Elgin Vale QCWA Rooms at the corner of Manumbar Road and Porters Road, Nanango from 10:00am to around 12:00 noon today. New members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Lois on (07) 4162-3824.
Blackbutt Singers - Yarraman
- The Blackbutt Singers will holding their regular Tuesday morning practice session at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street, Yarraman from 9:30am to around noon this morning (COVID Safe rules apply). New members - male and female - are very welcome, and you should BYO morning tea. More details? Call Judy on (07) 4170-0880.
Men's Table - Kingaroy
- Centacare Community Connections hosts a Men's Table social connection group every Tuesday from 10:00am to 11:00am at The Biscuit Tin, behind the Catholic Church Hall at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy. All men are invited to come along and have a yarn over coffee. More information? Phone (07) 4162-5439.
Nanango Indoor Bowls
- The Nanango Indoor Bowls Association will be holding their regular weekly indoor bowls matches at the Nanango Cultural Centre in George Street, Nanango from 12:450pm to around 4:00pm this afternoon. New players are always very welcome. More details? Phone Gary on 0487-853-617.
Alcoholics Anonymous - Nanango
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other to help solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership, nor is it allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organisation or institution. AA meets in Nanango every Tuesday from 5:30pm at the Catholic Church hall at the corner of Alfred and Gipps Street. For more information, phone 0427-289-990.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:00 noon today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone James on 0438-071-658. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact James about this too, or visit the website.
Tuesday, 02 November 2021
Add your event