April 21, 2021
A change to the planned route of the Anzac Day March in Kumbia on Sunday morning has sparked some heated exchanges on social media.
The marshalling area for the 2021 march has been changed from the flower garden at the northern end of Bell Street to the footpath on the southern side of Francis Street.
Critics claim this has reduced the length of the march to “100 steps”.
Kumbia Police Officer-In-Charge Senior Constable Todd Armstrong said the decision to shorten the march route had been approved by Kingaroy Police, the South Burnett Regional Council and RSL representatives.
“Information from SBRC was that during the 2019 march traffic controllers on the northern side of Kumbia had issues (with) road users utilising the detours around Bell Street with a near-miss incident occurring,” Snr Const Armstrong said.
He said the logistics involved in closing a major highway – and the resources needed – were extensive.
“The routes have also been shortened in Blackbutt, Kingaroy and Wooroolin so that a march can still be conducted and properly policed,” Snr Const Armstrong said.
“I understand there a number of people upset and angry as a result of these changes.
“As I have stated, members of the Kumbia community are working on planning the new march route/marshalling area and adapting to the changes.
“I know myself and many others are thankful that the community can attend an official service this year to pay our respects to loved ones, friends and others that have served and given so much for our amazing country.”