April 19, 2019
A popular highlight of the Wondai Sprints weekend is always the show’n’shine which is held on Sunday at the Wondai sports fields.
Organising committee member Gerry Manthorpe said a record number of cars and bikes had taken part this year … a total of 120.
Entries had come from across south-east Queensland – and from as far away as Bundaberg – as well as a strong contingent from the South Burnett.
“I’m very happy with the turnout,” Gerry said.
‘”We’ve had a lot of motorbikes this year as well as a lot of new entries.”
Popular South Burnett entries included Paul and Janelle Adams’ Monkeemobile; Steve Hood’s 1920s Case traction steam engine; and “Whitey”, Marjorie and Graham Crittenden’s 1912 Model 61 Overland which set the Sydney-Brisbane and Brisbane-Toowoomba records in 1918.
The show’n’shine also included a category this year for classic caravans, with a handful of vans rolling in to take part.
Gerry expected this section would grow again next year.
Shannons Insurance again sponsored the event and donated trophies for the various prize categories.
The large Shannons bus was also parked in the grounds, giving spectators a bird’s eye view of the sprints laps taking place next door.
* * *
- Classic (pre-1968) – Geoff Kington – 1951 Holden 48-215 (FX)
- Classic (1969-88) – Darren Wickson – 1973 Holden Kingswood
- Classic Sportscar (pre-1968) – Cameron Plumb – 1966 Alfa Romeo Veloce
- Classic Sportscar (1969-88) – Skip Litzow – 1975 Toyota Celica
- Vintage / Veteran – Neil and Sandrow Cooper – 1926 Chrysler Boattail Speedster
- Classic Commercial – Alan Kenzler – 1955 FJ Utility
- Modified or Hotroad – Paul and Janelle Adams – Monkeemobile (1966 Pontiac GTO)
- Motorcycle (pre-1970) – Joe Thorp – 1969 Triumph Bonneville
- Modern Motorcycle – 1998 Yamaha V-Star 1100
- Classic Caravan – Anna Faunt – 1966 Viscount
- Modern Car – John Garson – 2018 Mustang GT
* * *
Just a hint of some of the interesting vehicles on display at the Wondai Soccer Fields at the Show’n’Shine: