October 25, 2018
Opposition Leader and Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington has described as “absolute rubbish” a suggestion a recent home invasion in Murgon was a random incident.
A teenager or teenagers allegedly broke into the home of Police Prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens about 5:10am on Sunday and hit him on the head with a rock as he slept.
About the same time, a vehicle belonging to a local solicitor was also stolen.
On Wednesday, Police Minister Mark Ryan told media he had been advised initial investigations indicated the incidents were “random and not targeted”.
However, he said further police resources had been deployed to the region.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Mrs Frecklington said a Deputy School Principal, an ATSILS lawyer and a Police Prosecutor had been affected.
“For this Police Minister to think this wasn’t a targeted attack shows how out of touch the Police Minister is,” Mrs Frecklington said.
She said it was “a joke” to say the State Government’s response to recent crimes in the South Burnett had been a success.
“This Minister is a joke,” she said.
“Tell that to the people who are having their houses broken into, their utes stolen …
“Enough is enough.”
- Related article: MP Calls For More Police After Break-In