The Kingaroy Bowls Club will be celebrating their 80th birthday with an 80th Anniversary Carnival on Thursday, March 2.
The Youngman Street club has been a feature of the town for almost three-quarters of its existence.
Lately it’s been enjoying a small resurgence in membership thanks to an innovative Corporate League competition set up by Men’s President John Lacey, which challenged local businesses to put together 4-person teams for a relaxed and good-natured Tuesday night bowls competition.
The 80th Anniversary Carnival will be a more formal event, but with such a long history seems likely to draw players from other bowls clubs around the region.
The Carnival will be an Open Fours competition with two games of 16 ends.
It will kick off with morning tea at 9:00am, followed by bowls at 10:00am, with a break for lunch around noon.
Teams can comprise players from more than one club.
Entrants can also nominate individually, and will be allotted to teams where possible.
Nomination fees are $100 per team – which includes green fees, morning tea and lunch – and there’ll be a $400 prize for the winning team, $240 for the runner-up and $160 for third place.
If you’d like to take part you’ll need to be quick, though: nominations need to be in by Monday, February 27.
More details? Phone Geoff Clutterbuck on 0429-636-709 or the bowls club on (07) 4162-1404.
* * *
On Kingaroy’s blackboard:
- Every Tuesday: Ollies Mowers Corporate League, 6:45pm start
- Every Thursday: Club Selected Triples, 1:00pm start
- Every Friday: Barefoot Bowls, 6:00pm start
- Evrery Sunday: Social Bowls
- Sunday, Feb 26: Jackpot Pairs, 9:00am start
- Thursday, March 2: 80th Anniversary Carnival, 10:00am start
* * *
On Tuesday, Nanango Bowls Club played Social Triples, with scoring one for an end and six for the win.
- Bob Hammond, Mike Smith and Allan Carr – 21 pts
- Trevor George, Josh Fisher and Henry Bliesner – 18 pts
- Cec Bracken, Allan Ward and Brian Havell – 17 pts
- Evelyn Jensen, Sue Tucker and Glen Yeates – 14 pts
- Bob Hall, Mike Murray and Steve Carland – 12 pts
- Lew Saunders, John McConnell and Allan Wright – 9 pts
* * *
On Nanango’s Blackboard:
- Every Tuesday: Social (mufti) bowls, games start at 12:30pm
- Every Friday: Scroungers at 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 26: Club selected Trophy Day, 3:00pm start
* * *
The Murgon Bowls Club in Macalister Street, Murgon will be hosting the Murgon Tyre and Auto Team Challenge Fun Bowls Day from 2:00pm this Saturday, February 25.
Green fees are $15 per person, which includes a great BBQ dinner, and under-12s are free.
There’ll also be a jumping castle in the grounds to keep children amused.
For catering, though, you’ll need to RSVP by February 22 to (07) 4168-1668 or drop into 124 Lamb Street.
* * *
On Saturday, February 18 Kilcoy Bowls Club played a club selected Triples competition sponsored by Max Morrow and Greg Staniforth.
The winners were Maxine Wilcox, Michael Dunn and Cameron Cleland, and in the raffles, Peter from Tugun, Liz Frawley, Lynn Cleland, Tom Brooks, Clinton Morrow (twice!), Josh Cleland and Leigh Irwin also had wins of their own.
* * *
Last Tuesday in the Star of the Green competition, Jef Welden defeated Tom Brooks in a closely fought game and will now go on to play Elayne Moat on Tuesday, March 7.
The jackpot did not go off and stands at $129 on Tuesday, March 7.
The same day, Ladies President Pauline Lawson presented Dawn Philips with her Veteran’s Badge, and Touchers were won by Nelly Herbert, Ian Smith, Garry Jensen, Sandra Sampson, Jan Biddle, Elayne Moat, Pam Taylor, Nev Johnston, Ernie Herbert, Liz Frawley and Lester Bechly.
The winners of the day’s social bowls competition were Lester Bechly, Annette Ruston and Phyl Coffee, who defeated Pauline Lawson, Brett Kelly and Lex Biddle 29-13.
- Nev Johnston, Pam Taylor and Ernie Herbert def. Jef Welden, Elayne Moat and Wendy Smith 23-14
- Kelly Charters, Dennis Thomson and Liz Frawley def. Noel Lanes, Dawn Phillips and Leanne Driver 22-11
- Michael Dunn, Trudi Pratt and Ian Smith def. Bill Edwards, Grahame Derriman, Terry Pratten and Darrell Coffee 20-19
- Roger Moat, Peter Playford, Garry Jensen and Tom Brooks def. Horst Myer, Jan Biddle, Ann Pope and Nelly Herbert 19-15
- John Worrall, Adam Kelly and Sandra Sampson def. Ron Sampson, Marg Worrall and Lyn Chandler 26-22
* * *
Teams for this Sunday’s (February 26) Webster Shield match against Toogoolawah at Kilcoy are:
- Peter Stanton, Marg Worrall and Ernie Herbert
- Bill Edwards, Pam Taylor and Michael Dunn
- Trudi Pratt, Adam Kelly and Denis Bleakley
- Maxine Wilcox, Noel Lanes and John Worrall
- Jef Welden, Kelly Charters and Pauline Lawson
- Greg Staniforth, Horst Myer and Ann Pope
- Leigh Irwin, Terry Pratten and Liz Frawley
Peter Playford and Brett Kelly are reserves, and play starts at 12.30pm.
If anyone is unable to play, please contact Max Morrow on (07) 5497-1537.
* * *
On Kilcoy’s blackboard:
- Sunday, Feb 26: 2nd Round Webster Shield at Kilcoy.
- Tuesday, Feb 28: Trophy Day sponsored by Marg and John Worrall and Beryl and Col Ferguson; names on ladies board please.
- Sunday, March 5: 1st round Men’s Singles, 1:00pm
- Saturday, March 18: Club selected bowls sponsored by Lester Bechly and Jamie Mitchell; St Patrick’s Day theme, two games, 1:00pm start; names on the men’s board no later than 12 noon on the day. Open to men, ladies and new bowlers (bowls available); $10 per player includes bowls and sausage sizzle.
- Every Tuesday: Mixed social bowls; names by 9:00am for a 9:30am start