March 1, 2016
The State Government has received more than 1000 submissions and received feedback from more than 1000 people at public meetings about the future location of the cattle tick line.
Agriculture Minister Leanne Donaldson said the consultation process, which ended on February 29, had ensured all interested parties had been heard.
“The submissions and feedback will guide the final decision on the location of the tick line,” the Minister said.
“The information we have gathered will now be reviewed by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries and a final decision will be based on minimising the impacts of cattle ticks on Queensland’s livestock industry as a whole.
“All through this process we have been committed to listening to what producers want.”
The Minister said the location of the tick line needs to take into account local knowledge and the special situation of each individual region.
However she was confident the Government now had the information needed to make the best possible decision.
Minister Donaldson said staff from her department had attended 19 public meetings hosted by AgForce and community groups along the current tick line, and in some regions strong opposing opinions had been expressed.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank AgForce for the work it has done to ensure all producers have been fully informed.” the Minister said.
“I also want to thank all those who have taken the opportunity to be heard during the consultation period. This is a vital issue for Queensland’s livestock industry and it is inevitable that opinions vary.
“This is the first opportunity in 30 years for broad industry consultation to improve cattle tick management in Queensland.”
About 85 per cent of respondents agreed the tick line should be positioned to provide the greatest possible protection for the tick-free zone.