November 5, 2014
The old Boys Dormitory at Cherbourg became a sea of pink on Wednesday for the Deadly Pink Ribbon Luncheon … a breast cancer awareness event which was tinged with sadness but also filled with laughter.
Cancer survivors and their families gathered together, and candles were lit in memory of people who have died.
The lunch was the culmination of the “bizarre bra event” which has seen members of the Many Threads group decorating bras and hanging bras along the fence to Murgon.
There was even the cutting of a “breast cake”.
Guest speakers – including Cr Christine Stewart and breast care nurse Sue Cox – shared information about how to reduce the risk of getting cancer and emphasised the importance of regular pap smears and mammograms.
A highlight was the announcement of the winners of the decorated bra competition.
Many of the bras – which have been lovingly worked on for weeks – were dedicated to the memory of family members and friends who have died of cancer.
The three judges – Cr Kathy Duff, Aunty Ada Simpson and Cherbourg Health Service manager Tarita Fisher – said they were looking for uplifting messages, creativity, inspiration, originality as well as the details of the actual sewing.
The winners were:
- Category 1 – Deadliest – Grace Bond, runners-up Gloria Benson and Makayla Palm
- Category 2 – Most Bizarre – Grace Bond, runner-up Sandra Morgan
- Category 3 – Under 18 – Landon Law-Palm
- Category 4 – Novelty – Myra Duncan, runner-up Alana Purcell
- Category 5 – Sexiest – Alana Purcell, runner-up Gloria Benson
- Category 6 – Sporting – Gloria Bell
- Category 7 – Most Inspirational – Makayla Palm, runner-up Nikita Palm
- Category 8 – Road To Recovery – Cheryl Cooper , runner-up Alana Purcell
- Category 9 – Golden Oldies – Sandra Morgan, runner-up Gloria Benson
- Category 10 – Prettiest Pink – Grace Bond, runners-up Shirley Law and Gloria Benson
- Category 11 – Most Creative – Gloria Benson, runners-up Shenane Law and Cheryl Cooper
- Category 12 – Most Humorous – Gloria Bell, runner-up Alana Purcell
The bras will be on display at The Ration Shed for the next few weeks.
There will also be a “People’s Choice” prize awarded from public votes. The winner will receive a $100 voucher from Gina Oberle from oriGINAl hair by GINA.