Luke Evans scores for the Kingaroy Red Ants

June 23, 2012

The Kingaroy v Wondai A Grade game featured strong runs and determined defence by both sides

The Kingaroy Red Ants proved too strong for the Wondai Wolves for the second time this season, defeating them 50-16 in their South Burnett Premier League match at TJ O’Neill Oval in Kingaroy this afternoon.

However the game was closer – and much more entertaining – than the final scoreline may indicate.

Ashley Smallwood opened the scoring for Kingaroy, followed by tries to Mitch Schilling and Luke Evans.

With the score at 16-0, Wondai’s Brenton List crossed the line; followed three minutes later by Luke Hedges.

At half-time, the score was 16-12 and the sides looked evenly matched.

The entertaining football continued after the re-start.

Kingaroy scored within seconds of the whistle sounding. Darren Bowden powered to the line after a strong run down the sideline. This was followed seven minutes later by a try to Jayden Jarvis, stretching the gap to 26-12.

For the next 10 minutes, an arm-wrestle ensured with defenders from both sides tested. There were crowd-pleasing length-of-the-field breaks by players from both sides, brought to a conclusion by last-minute desperation tackles.

Unfortunately for Wondai, they conceded a penalty right on their line which set up a try for the Red Ants’ Tim Guinea. Matt Allen’s kick was good, and at 32-12, the game was suddenly getting away from the Wolves.

With 16 minutes left on the clock, Matt Stumer scored for Wondai, the last points gained by them on the day.

Kingaroy’s Matt Allen hit back immediately and then converted his own try.

Wondai didn’t give up. A strong run to the line by the Wolves was saved at the last moment by Kingaroy with a crushing tackle into touch.

Kingaroy then seemed sure to score after a rare 40-20, but Wondai held them out.

With four minutes left, Wondai looked set to score themselves but made an error and bungled a certain try.

The Red Ants then scored twice in the last three minutes, with tries to Nathan Champney and Mitch Schilling, his second for the day.

Schilling’s runaway try occurred with just seconds left. The conversion – taken by Champney after the siren – was successful which took the final score to 50-16.

Matt Allen continued his excellent form with the boot, kicking six goals for Kingaroy.

Darren Bowden takes off for the line to score for Kingaroy after the break

* * *

At Blackbutt, the Timbertowners tested the undefeated Cherbourg Hornets in an unexpectedly close A Grade contest. Final score was Cherbourg 44, Blackbutt 24.

At Nanango, the Stags notched up their third – and most convincing – win for the season, defeating the Murgon Mustangs 52-16.

* * *

In the U18s match played at Kingaroy, the Red Ants continued their good form in the competition, defeating the Maryborough Wallaroos 60-12.Chris Ostwald, Richard Ryan and Sean Harris all scored doubles for Kingaroy. Other tries went to Dillon Jarman, Jack Schaffer, Zav Walthall, Nathan Bowering and Harrison Miller. Schaffer also kicked eight goals.

Aidan Sandlant and Ryan Lucas scored for the Wallaroos.

* * *

Nanango Stags defeated the Murgon Mustangs 34-18 in the U16s 


Nanango v Murgon (at Nanango)
U12s 14-18
U14s 26-12
U16s 34-18
A Grade 52-16

Kingaroy v Wondai (at Kingaroy)
U12s 38-0
U14s 20-12
U16s bye
A Grade 50-16

Cherbourg v Central Burnett (at Blackbutt)
U12s 16-6
U16s 30-8

Cherbourg v Blackbutt (at Blackbutt)
A Grade 34-24

U18s (at Kingaroy)
Kingaroy v Wallaroos 60-8

[Updated June 26]

Tarong Community Partnership Fund - click here
Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables