Labour Day Public Holiday
- Today is Labour Day, a public holiday. Most South Burnett businesses will be closed today or operating on restricted hours. Labour Day first began in the 1860s when a general campaign for an 8-hour working day began to erupt around the civilised world. At that time most Australians were expected to work 60 or more hours a week and the social security net that underpins modern society didn't exist. This meant working conditions for the majority of people were awful, and the inequity between rich and poor inevitably led to widespread civil unrest. Labour Day was originally celebrated in March but this was moved to the first Monday of May in 1893 after the Great Shearer's Strike broke out at Barcaldine two years earlier. Footnote: Even though some workers achieved an 8-hour day by the 1890s, it still took until 1916 before all Queensland workers won the 8-hour day struggle. Decent working conditions and a social security system are something Australians take for granted now - often without a second thought about how much effort our grandparents and great grandparents put into achieving it. Note: Some regular meetings and events will be running as usual today, and some won't. If you're thinking of attending any of them, it would be wise to phone first to verify they're proceeding as usual.
Federal Election Pre-Poll Voting Opens In Kingaroy Today
- Pre-poll voting in the May 18 Federal election will open in Kingaroy today, and if you want to avoid long queues on voting day you can cast your vote from now right up to election day at Kingaroy's early voting centre. South Burnett voters will be in either the Maranoa (Blackbutt to Wooroolin), Flynn (Wondai, Hivesville, Proston and Boondooma) or Wide Bay (Murgon northwards) federal electorates, and in addition to voting for your choice of a Federal MP to sit in the House of Representatives you will also have to vote for 6 senators to represent Queensland in the Senate. Kingaroy's pre-poll voting centre is located in the Stanwell Room at SBcare opposite SupaIGA in Avoca Street, and the AEC have confirmed it will be open today despite the fact it's a Queensland public holiday. A second pre-poll voting centre will open at 26A Fitzroy Street, Nanango next Monday. You can read more on our website.
Yarraman Men's Shed
- The Yarraman Men's Shed will be meeting at their newly-acquired home at 35 Mill Street, Yarraman at 9:00am this morning. The Men's Shed is a non-profit community group that welcomes all men, and provides a safe and friendly environment to socialise and work on projects of their own choosing in the company of other men. New members are always very welcome. More details? Send them an email.
New Residents Meet & Greet - Kumbia
- A Meet & Greet for new Kumbia and district residents will be held at the Kumbia Hall Supper Room from 10:00am onwards this morning. This will be an informal morning tea that will allow long-standing residents to meet and welcome all the newcomers now calling Kumbia home. All new and established residents are warmly invited to attend (established residents should bring a plate for the shared morning tea). More details? Phone (07) 4164-4014 or 0419-649-226
Proston QCWA Meeting
- The Proston QCWA will be holding their regular monthly meeting at the CWA Rooms in Rodney Street, Proston (just down from the Proston Community Hall) at 9:00am this morning. Potential new members are always very welcome! The group holds a general meeting on the first Monday of every month except January, and craft days most other Mondays. More details? Phone (07) 4168-9391.
Yarraman RSL Meeting
- The Yarraman RSL branch will be holding its regular first Monday monthly meeting at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street at 6:00pm this evening. New members are always welcome.
South Burnett Antique Car Club
- The South Burnett Antique Car Club will be holding its first Monday of the month meeting at the South Burnett Enterprise Centre at 6 Cornish Street, Kingaroy at 7:30pm tonight. The club is for owners of vintage veteran and classic motor vehicles (or those who'd like to be) and offers monthly runs, picnic BBQs and fellowship. More details? Phone Val on 0409-091-346.
Yarraman Creative Circle
- The Yarraman Creative Circle crafts group will be holding their regular first Monday of the month meeting from 9:30am to around 2:00pm today at Kitty Cook House in Emmert Street. New members are always welcome. More details? Phone Beryl on (07) 4163-8551.
Monday Evening Bingo - Blackbutt
- Bingo games will be held at Nukku Nook at the head of the Blackbutt Rail Trail in Hart Street, Blackbutt from 7:00pm this evening (eyes down at 7:30pm sharp). These weekly bingo nights are a fundraiser for the Blackbutt and District Tourism and Heritage Association and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Noeleen on (07) 4163-0413 or send her an email.
Kingaroy SES Training Night
- The Kingaroy SES will be holding their regular Monday night training session at the Kingaroy SES headquarters in Glendon Street, Kingaroy (next to Kingaroy X-Ray) from 7:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. New members are always very welcome. More details? Phone 0428-741-274
Cooinda Craft Group - Kingaroy
- The Cooinda Craft Group will be holding its regular Monday morning meeting at the Town Common Hall in Oliver Bond Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to 1:30pm today. Members of the group pursue a variety of crafts and newcomers are always welcome.
Murgon SES Training Night
- The Murgon SES will be holding their regular Monday night training session at the SES Building in Gore Street, Murgon from 7:00pm to 9:00pm tonight. Anyone from the Murgon district who's interested in joining the SES (or simply finding out more about what's involved) is very welcome to come along.
Nanango Men's Shed
- The Nanango Men's Shed at the corner of Mt Stanley Road and Heathermore Lane, Nanango will be open from 8:30am to 12:30pm today (and also on Wednesdays). New members are very welcome! More details? Phone Ben on 0491-102-087
Monday Night Line Dancing - Proston
- Line dancing classes will be held at the Proston Community Hall in Rodney Street, Proston tonight. A beginners class will run at 5:00pm and an advanced class at 6:30pm. Class fees are $5 per head and everyone is welcome!
Proston Scout Group
- The Proston Scout troop will be holding their regular Monday night meeting at their Railway Park den in Rodney Street from 5:00pm to 7:00pm tonight. The group meets every Monday night during school terms.
Monday Yoga - Blackbutt
- Yoga classes will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. Class fees are $4 and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Pauline on 0437-606-699.
Wondai QCWA Meeting
- The Wondai branch of the QCWA will be holding their regular first Monday of the month meeting at the QCWA Rooms in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 10:00am this morning. All interested people are welcome.
Kumbia Hall Committee Meeting
- The Kumbia Hall Committee will be holding its first Monday of the month meeting in the meeting room at the front of Kumbia Hall in Bell Street at 8:00pm this evening. New members are very welcome! The Hall and/or Supper Room are also available for hire - phone Josie on (07) 4164-4384 for more details.
Hivesville QCWA Meeting
- The Hivesville QCWA will be holding their regular monthly meeting at the Hivesville QCWA Rooms in Main Street, Hivesville at 10:00am this morning. Entry is free and members are asked to bring a plate to share for lunch. Everyone is welcome to attend! More details? Phone Judy on (07) 4168-9892.
Kingaroy Senior Citizens Club
- The Kingaroy Senior Citizens Club will be holding its monthly meeting from 10:00am to noon this morning at the Senior Citizen Hall located at the corner of Avoca and Kingaroy Streets (opposite SupaIGA). New Members are always welcome, and you can obtain more details from president Noela Wittpoth on 0439-736-961.