On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 27 April 2019
IBRP South Burnett Speedway - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Speedway Club will be holding the second (and final) day of their bumper two-day meeting to decide the IBRP SSA National Modified Sedans and Australian Modlites titles at the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy today. Gates will open at 2:00pm and racing will get underway at 4:00pm. This meeting has attracted a top field of speedway driving talent from right around the nation (including multiple national and state title-holders). And after a blistering, bruising series of qualifying races yesterday, tonight's racing will see Australia's 2019 winners for both the Modified Sedans and Modlites titles take to the podium later tonight when it's all done and dusted. In between, spectators can expect thrills and spills aplenty as competitors put the pedal to the metal in an all-out effort to secure one of these two highly-prized trophies. Admission is $25 for adults, $15 for students and pensioners or $65 for a family of two adults and up to three students (children 12 and under are free). There'll also be canteen facilities operating onsite and camping available, too. This meeting is one of the club's biggest of the year - possibly even bigger than the Kings Royal - and the full program can be viewed here (7.5Mb PDF)
Spirit Of The Bush Balladeers Muster - Boondooma
- The fourth day of the five-day Spirit Of The Bush Balladeers & Heritage Muster will be held at Boondooma Homestead at 8262 Durong-Mundubbera Road, Boondooma today. This popular annual campout week features lots of Australia's top bush balladeers and poets (more than 25 will be appearing at the Muster this year) along with walk-up artists. The Muster routinely attracts 700 to 800 caravanners plus day-trippers, and in addition to bucketloads of non-stop music there'll also be great camp oven meals, a licensed bar, BBQ, stalls, and displays of vintage cars and engines, photography and historical items. Today's activities will begin with a Bush Poet's Breakfast at 7:30am, followed by invited artists and walk-up performers well into the evening. Admission to today's Muster is $25 or you can buy a 5-day pass for $105. Bush camping is also available on-site and can be booked by phoning the Homestead's caretakers on (07) 4168-0159. You can also get a program of this year's Muster in PDF format by clicking here.
- The second day of the three day 2019 Manumbar Campdraft will be held at the Manumbar Campdraft Grounds, kicking off around 6:30am this morning and continuing until dusk. This year's campdraft will feature a Maiden, Novice, Junior, Juvenile, Restricted Open and Open Drafts, as well as pony club events for children. There's free on-site camping and tonight there'll be a pig-on-a-spit dinner and live entertainment as well. Admission to the campdraft is 100% free for spectators and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone Sheryl on (07) 4168-8107, message the Manumbar Campdraft's Facebook page or send her an email.
Booking Date - Broncos Trip
- The Kingaroy Senior Citizens Club is planning a trip to the Broncos Leagues Club at Red Hill in Brisbane on April 4 ... but today is the cut-off date for bookings! Cost is $20 for Kingaroy Senior Citizens Club members and $25 for non-members. For more info, phone Merv on (07) 4163-6191.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning Joan Spicer on 0456-999-928.
2019 Kingaroy Eisteddfod
- The 2019 Kingaroy Eisteddfod - one of the oldest in Australia, and the oldest in Queensland - will get underway at the Kingaroy Performing Arts Centre in Markwell Street, Kingaroy at 9:30am this morning. As usual, competitors will be coming from all over south-east Queensland to take part in this year's Eisteddfod, and today's activities will focus on junior dancers from private dance groups and school dance groups (seniors are being run at the same time and venue tomorrow). The Eisteddfod will continue until May 9 with dance solos, duos and trios being judged from April 29 to May 3; music from May 6 to 8; and speech and drama on May 9. Spectators are very welcome!
DJ Ty - Kingaroy
- DJ Ty will be spinning the platters on the front deck of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 9:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Nanango Mini Market
- The Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month (except January) outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Saturday Rugby League - Wondai, Murgon and Cherbourg
- After a short break for the Easter school holidays, rugby league will be resuming today with junior matches in Wondai, Murgon and Cherbourg, and two A-grade clashes at Wondai and Cherbourg. In Wondai, the home team Wolves juniors will battle it out with the Nanango Stags juniors at the Wondai Sportsgrounds on the Bunya Highway, with U6s/U8s playing at 9:00am; U7s/U9s at 9:55am; U10s at 10:45am; U12s at 11:45am and U14s at 12:45pm. These matches will be followed by a A-grade clash between the Wolves and Murgon Mustangs at 3:15pm. In Murgon, Murgon juniors will play Central Burnett at the Murgon Sportsgrounds in Macalister Street, with U6s/U8s playing at 8:00am; U7s/U9s at 9:00am; U10s at 10:00am; U12s at 11:00am; U11s at noon; and U14s at 1:00pm. Finally, in Cherbourg, the junior Cherbourg Hornets will play the junior Red Ants at Jack O'Chin Oval in Broadway Street with U6s/U8s playing at 9:00am; U10s at 10:00am; and U12s at 11:00am. These matches will be followed by an U16s clash between Kingaroy and Highfields at noon; and then an A-grade match between the Hornets and Red Ants at 1:00pm. Spectators are very welcome, and canteens will be running at all three venues.
Saturday Soccer - Wondai and Kingaroy
- Soccer will also be resuming this weekend after the Easter school holiday, with Round 4 senior games being played at Kingaroy and Wondai. In Wondai, the Barambah Bears will play Nanango's Panthers at the Wondai Soccer Grounds off the Bunya Highway just north of the Wondai Sportsgrounds, with the women's division kicking off at 1:40pm, followed by the men's division at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home teams Wests and Gunners will face off on the sacred ground of Tom Alford Oval in Oliver Bond Street, with the women's division playing at 3:15pm, followed by the men's division at 5:00pm. Canteens will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome. Meanwhile, this year's junior soccer season will also kick off today, with all matches being played at the Wondai soccer fields from 8:00am to around 11:00am.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Rowan Edwards - Nanango
- Popular South Burnett entertainer Rowan Edwards will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding a Pig On A Spit night from 6:00pm until late tonight in conjunction with the Maidenwell Running Festival (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy for $17 per plate! The hotel also has roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu for those who prefer to go non-pork, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Danny B. vs DJdirex - Kingaroy
- Highly sought-after Brisbane DJ Danny B. will be returning to the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy tonight to face off against popular local Djdirex from 9:00pm until late in a quest to find the platters that matter. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Risa - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett entertainers Risa will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL Club in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm until around 11:30pm this evening. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Saturday, 27 April 2019