On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 13 April 2019
110th Annual Nanango Show
- The main public day of the 110th Annual Nanango Show will get underway at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango at 7:00am this morning when the gates open and prime cattle judging begins. This will be followed by horse events and stud cattle judging; barrel racing and rodeo events in the main ring; and chainsawing and wood chopping. The Show's official opening will occur around 1:30pm and will be followed by trotting (2:00pm); woodchops (3:00pm); a rodeo (3:00pm to 5:30pm); and monster trucks and rollover cars. Other features of this year's Show to look out for include a big Sideshow Alley, lots of great amusement rides, live music and the great Heritage Nanango fireworks display in the evening. Admission is still just $15 for adults and $10 for pension card holders and children over 14, but children under 14 accompanied by a paying adult can get in for free. A bar, BBQ and lots of food stalls will be operating in the grounds throughout the day and well into the night as well. More details? Phone the Show Society office on (07) 4163-1273. You can also find out more details on the Nanango Show Society's website.
Gem, Rock and Lapidary Show - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Gem and Fossicking Club will be holding the
first day of their inaugural two-day Gem, Rock and Lapidary Show at Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to 4:00pm today. The event will feature unique crystal, rock and mineral displays; a dealer pavilion; outdoor tailgaters and lots of fun for the kids. Food and drink stalls will be operating in the grounds, too. More details? Phone Neville on (07) 4163-5026.
Wondai Street Sprints
- The first day of the weekend-long, fourth annual Wondai Street Sprints sprint car races will be held at the Wondai Industrial Estate off the Bunya Highway just north of Wondai's CBD today. Race time trials will be held from 8:30am to around 4:30pm, and there'll be food and merchandise stands on site. Over 135 entrants have nominated for this year's Sprints in classes including historic, touring cars, sports sedans, racing cars and special interest. A one-day pass for spectators is $15 (or $25 for both days) but under 14s can get in for free. More details? Phone Kevin on 0428-622-749 or visit the website.
APT9 Kids On Tour - Wondai
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery on the roundabout at Wondai will be hosting the third (and final) session of APT9 Kids On Tour from the Queensland Gallery Of Modern Art at The Studio next to the gallery from 12:30pm to 3:30pm this afternoon. APT9 allows children aged 5 to 12 to explore and experience diverse art styles from Australia, Asia and the Pacific through hands-on art making activities and interactive experiences. APT9 is completely free, but places are limited so an RSVP is highly advisable to reserve a place. You can make one by phoning the Gallery on (O7) 4168-5926.
Blackbutt Trivia Night
- A Trivia Night will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt at 5:30pm tonight (play starts at 6:00pm sharp). The evening is a fundraiser for the Blackbutt Art Gallery and there'll be lots of prizes on offer. Tickets are just $10 per head and play will be in tables of six (if you don't have a team, organisers will find you one). There'll also be great food catered by the Blackbutt-Yarraman QCWA and a licensed bar operated by the Blackbutt-Benarkin Lions. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4170-0221.
Dance - Booie Hall
- A dance will be held at Booie Hall at 1867 Booie Road, Booie from 8:00pm until late tonight. Old Time dance music will be supplied by Diamonds Orchestra and there'll be a great supper, novelties and a lucky door prize, too. Admission is $10 for adults, or $5 for high school students and non-dancers. Everyone is welcome - especially younger people - and you can find out more by phoning Marie on 0439-794-027.
Saturday Golf - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Golf Club on the Bunya Highway west of town will be holding their Burke & Wills Open Day today: a stableford in A, B and C grades for men and an ungraded stableford for women. There'll be prizes for the best non-golfer, close approaches and an optional ProPin, but names need to be in by 10:30am for a shotgun start at 11:00am. More details? Nominations? Phone (07) 4162-1720.
Classic Tones - Nanango
- Classic Tones will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight, serving up classics from the 60s to the 80s and covering every style from Country to Aussie Pub Rock. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission fee. More details from Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Tranzmile Truck, Trailer & 4WD Parts Open Day
- Tranzmile Truck, Trailer & 4WD Parts at 4 Barron Park Drive in Kingaroy will be holding their official opening and an Open Day from 8:00am to noon today. There'll be free Western Star merchandise; a $50 voucher for every $500 you spend today; truck and trailer parts suppliers on hand to answer your questions; and giveaways and show bags. The Kingaroy Scouts will also be on hand to serve up a BBQ brekkie and sausage sizzle if you get peckish. Everyone is welcome!
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
- The Yarraman Progress Association's Yarraman Markets will be held on the vacant block at the corner of the D'Aguilar and New England Highways in Yarraman from 7:00am until around 12:00 noon today (ie opposite Bendigo Bank). The markets feature trash and treasure stalls, car boot sellers, local produce and hand-made goods, as well as food stalls, and are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is welcome and if you'd like to book a stall yourself - it's only $5! - call Joe on (0459) 638-282
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Ken Baines Disco - Kingaroy
- A Ken Baines Disco with an Easter theme will be held at Saint Mary's Parish Hall in Albert Street, Kingaroy, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. About 30 young people with disabilities usually attend, along with their carers. Everyone is welcome!
Saturday Rugby League - Nanango
- Most South Burnett football sports are taking a break for the next fortnight, but league fans can still get to see one game today: the South Burnett Eagles U18s, who'll be playing their contemporaries from Warwick at Stags Oval on the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango at 2:00pm today. A canteen will be operating and spectators are very welcome.
Zone Duo - Kingaroy
- Touring group Zone Duo will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Arthur Nettelfield - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett country rock entertainer Arthur Nettelfield will be performing at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm until 11:30pm this evening. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Cooyar Spit Roast
- The Cooyar Hotel on the New England Highway at Cooyar will be holding a Spit Roast Night with live music in their Outback Bar behind the pub from 6:30pm until late this evening. Seating is limited so a booking is advisable: (07) 4692-6185. There's also free camping nearby if you'd like to stay over.
Maidenwell Thai Buffet
- The Maidenwell Hotel will be holding a Thai Buffet from 6:00pm until around 8:00pm tonight, offering everything from Thai satay sticks to a yellow Thai chicken curry. More details from the hotel on (07) 4164-6133.
Harvey Norman 10th Birthday Party
- Harvey Nortman computers in Rogers Drive, Kingaroy will be celebrating their 10th birthday this morning with a live in-store broadcast by Hit FM, along with a jumping castle and sausage sizzle in the parking lot. Everyone is welcome.
Elay Music - Kongaroy
- Elay Music will be performing in the front bar at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets in Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Sugar Free Country - Kilkivan
- The Kilkivan Bush Caravan Park at 577 Rossmore Road, Kilkivan will be hosting "Sugar Free Country" from noon until late today - a country music concert featuring Drew McAlister, Matt Cornell, Seleen McAlister, Caitlyn Shadbolt, Josh Setterfield, Brook Chivell and Natalie Pearson to raise funds for research into Juvenile Type 1 Diabetes. Tickets are $50 for adults, $20 for children under 12 or $120 for a family pass. On-site camping will be available, and so will an American Smoke & Grill dinner (both for an extra fee). More details? Phone the caravan park on (07) 5484-1340.
Saturday, 13 April 2019