May 1, 2024

A 20-year-old Murgon man charged over a string of break-ins, thefts and other offences around Murgon last September has been released on immediate parole.

Mitchell Graham Greaves pleaded guilty to 14 charges when he appeared in Murgon Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The charges included break-and-enters which occurred at Murgon Leather, the Murgon Golf Club, Murgon Cabinet Makers, Zischke Electrical, Farleys Motors, Maroske’s Automotive and several other locations.

Items stolen included a Great Wall utility, alcohol, a laptop, speaker, a computer system, tools, knives, a fuel card and cash.

Vehicles were also damaged during some of the incidents, including having tyres slashed and windows smashed.

Office areas in some of the businesses were also trashed and fire extinguishers let off.

The Great Wall ute was later located on fire on the Bunya Highway at Wondai, although Greaves was not charged over this arson.

The court was told two other offenders, both juveniles, were also involved in the incidents and had been dealt with under the Youth Justice Act.

Police Prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens said Greaves had very limited criminal history, had entered a timely early plea, spent time at a rehabilitation centre where he underwent 31 group treatment sessions and 12 one-on-one sessions and appeared committed to making positive changes.

However, he noted a sentence of imprisonment was in range.

Solicitor Prim Laurentiussen, for Greaves, said her client had developed a drug dependency, was intoxicated at the time of the offences and remorseful for his actions.

“He was acting as a lookout for the various break-ins and has made full admissions of his participation,” she said.

She sought a sentence that would allow Greaves to stay in the community.

Ms Laurentiussen said Greaves had sought rehabilitation in Rockhampton on the realisation he needed to make some serious life changes.

He had now begun an apprenticeship as a diesel fitter and was working a nightshift at a bar.

Magistrate Andrew Sinclair sentenced Greaves to a total of 12 months’ jail with immediate parole, and ordered him to pay $835 restitution, which was referred to SPER.