August 18, 2023
There’s been a lot of pink around Kingaroy lately … with BaconFest promotions all over town and the Kingaroy Red Ants’ big “Pink Day” last Saturday.
Unfortunately, the pink harmony ends this weekend, with the South Burnett Rugby League’s semi-finals day having to compete with BaconFest just up the road.
At T.J. O’Neill Oval, the Major and Minor Semi-Finals in the SBRL competition will be contested in Under 14s and A Grade.
The Major Semis will see 1st v 2nd placegetters, while the sudden-death Minor Semis are between 3rd and 4th spots.
The Kingaroy Red Ants earned the right to host the Semi-Finals after finishing as Minor Premiers in A Grade.
They hosted the final round of the regular season last weekend.
The annual Pink Day is a fundraiser for the Melanoma Awareness Foundation.
The Red Ants wore pink jerseys and there were a lot of pink things to buy as well as raffles, with all the funds going to a good cause.
Out on the field there was a Kick 4 Cash competition, sponsored by Budgy Smuggler swimwear, with entrants encouraged to strip down to their “budgies”.
The senior winner was Harry Sterling with Riley Kerkow taking out the junior prize.
A special guest on the day, retired Bronco and Maroon Andrew McCullough, also took part in the competition.
McCullough, who played his junior football with the Dalby Devils, retired from the NRL last year after suffering an ankle injury.
He talked about his career during breaks between games, interviewed by the Red Ants’ Sandra Prain, before heading off to a meet and greet with fans at the Carrollee Hotel.
A pink football autographed by McCullough was auctioned for the cancer charity during the afternoon, raising $500.
* * *
A Grade Results
The last round of the regular A Grade season was played after the kicking competition.
The first game was between Cherbourg and Murgon.
The Hornets ran away winners 80-26 in a confusing game after leading 34-16 at half-time.
It was a 10-a-side contest due to a lack of players, and because of this, the team sheets didn’t match the jumper numbers on the field which led to some amusing mix-ups in the on-field call.
Relax … Drew Jackson and Elwyn Fewquandie aren’t the same bloke!
* * *
The second game, between the Kingaroy “Pink” Ants and Wondai was a lot less complicated, but was another walk-over.
Kingaroy demonstrated why they finished the season on the top of the ladder with a 32-0 victory over the Wolves.
Kingaroy try scorers included Semesa Madigicala (3), Toby Broomhall, Toby Schmidt and Jaspar Millar. Harry Sterling and Lachlan Price each kicked a goal.
* * *
- Under 14s – Kingaroy 28 def. Nanango 0
Kingaroy try scorers: Ethan Saal, Kyle Josai, Darcy Williamson, Tyler Fuller-Sandys, Patterson Braithwaite and Isaac Hauritz. Tyler Fuller-Sandys kicked two goals.
- Under 14s – Cherbourg 20 def. Murgon 18
Cherbourg try scorers: Elijah Langton (2), Trent Sellin and Kendall Murray. Quaden Langton-Saltner kicked two goals.
Murgon try scorers: Joseph Jacobs, Jaydaren Davidson-Prior and Rhys Williams. Goals were kicked by Rhys Williams (2) and Jayden Arndell.
- Under 18s – Semi-Final – South Burnett Eagles 38 def. Wests Panthers 18, earning a spot in this week’s Preliminary Final.
Eagles’ try scorers included: Lachlan Ponder (2), Jack Webber, Jayden Tewes-Smallwood and Bayden Alexander. Goals were kicked by Jayden Tewes-Smallwood (2) and Nathan Roderick
- Under 15s – South Burnett Eagles 40 def. Highfields 16
Eagles’ try scorers included: Harrison Ballin, Levi Skipper, Brayden Watcho-Page, Kaiden Weston, Will Webber and Lawson Braithwaite. Goal kickers included Will Webber (2) and Lawson Braithwaite
- Under 16s – Highfields 20 def. South Burnett Eagles 14
Eagles’ try scorers: Blake Dynevor, Harrison Braithwaite and Shamus Cobbo. Liam Irwin kicked one conversion.
* * *
This Week’s Games
Under 12s Challenge
- 8:00am – Nanango v Wondai
- 8:30am – Kingaroy v Blackbutt
- 9:00am – Murgon v Wondai
- 9:30am – Blackbutt v Nanango
- 10:00am – Wondai v Cherbourg
- 10:30am – Kingaroy v Murgon
- 11:00am – Nanango v Cherbourg
TJRL Round 14
- 11:30am – Under 15s – South Burnett Eagles v Gatton
- 12:45pm – Under 16s – South Burnett Eagles v Gatton
- 2:00pm – Under 14s Minor Semi-Final – Kingaroy v Murgon
- 3:00pm – Under 14s Major Semi-Final – Cherbourg v Chinchilla
- 4:00pm – A Grade Minor Semi-Final – Wondai v Murgon
- 5:30pm – A Grade Major Semi-Final – Kingaroy v Cherbourg
- Under 18s BJRL Preliminary Final – South Burnett Eagles v Past Brothers
At Cherbourg on Sunday:
- 11:00am – Wide Bay Women’s A Grade Preliminary Final – Cherbourg v Fraser Coast Crushers