September 17, 2021
Queensland has reinstated border restrictions with Lismore following the decision by the NSW Government to introduce stay-at-home orders in the City of Lismore LGA.
The Lismore council area was removed from the Queensland border bubble at 6:00pm on Thursday.
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said this meant anyone who has been in the City of Lismore LGA during the last 14 days may not enter Queensland.
“Those currently in Queensland who have been in the Lismore area in the last 14 days should come forward, get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result,” Dr Young said.
“We know the situation can quickly escalate with this virus, which is why it is important we respond appropriately.”
Dr Young said she was receiving regular updates from her counterparts in NSW regarding their cases.
“We are closely monitoring COVID-19 developments in NSW and will continue to review restrictions as the situation escalates and deescalates,” she said.
“I understand this is tough for some, but it is necessary in ensuring we can continue to protect Queenslanders.”
UPDATE: Border restrictions have also been reinstated for the Glen Innes Severn LGA from 1:00am on Saturday.
* * *
NSW Health announced 1284 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases on Friday morning and 12 more deaths.
This takes the NSW death toll since the latest outbreak began to 222.
Two of the latest deaths were aged in their 20s, three in their 50s, one in their 60s, two in their 70s, three in their 80s, and one in their 90s.
Seven of the 12 people who died were not vaccinated, two had received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and three were fully vaccinated.
There have been 43,779 locally acquired cases reported in NSW since June 16, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
There are currently 1245 patients in NSW hospitals, including 228 in intensive care.
Victoria announced 510 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases on Friday and one more death, taking the toll in the latest outbreak to nine.
There are 182 COVID patients in Victorian hospitals, including 51 in intensive care.
* * *
An interstate truck driver has been charged after allegedly driving through the Queensland border barriers at Yelarbon.
Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said on Friday the driver had been charged with unlawfully entering Queensland and wilful damage.
* * *
Queensland has recorded one new locally acquired case.
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said on Friday the case was linked to Brisbane’s Sunnybank cluster and was detected in home quarantine so had not been infectious in the community.