Cherbourg players celebrate with one of their most loyal fans, Aunty Hazel Speedy, after the trophy presentation
Cherbourg Hornets captain Mark Saltner hoists the A Grade Grand Final trophy

September 13, 2021

A rugby league Grand Final clash between Cherbourg and Murgon was always going to ensure a big crowd – and excited fans – at Cherbourg’s Jack O’Chin Oval … and Saturday’s  encounter lived up to expectations!

A big crowd packed into the main grandstand and around the fences to watch the Hornets and Mustangs go head-to-head in the A Grade, as well as the Mustangs take on Kingaroy in Under 14s (see below).

* * *

A Grade Grand Final

There was little love shown on the paddock by traditional rivals Murgon and Cherbourg in the keenly contested A Grade Grand Final.

There was plenty of tough tackling, and several players were binned for 10-minute stints.

At full-time, Cherbourg was ahead 40-24 but the final scoreline didn’t reflect the closeness of the game, particularly during the first half.

Tyreese Gyemore opened the Hornets’ account a minute after kick-off to put Cherbourg in the lead.

Minutes later Paddy Alberts looked to have crossed for another Cherbourg try, but play was called back and a Hornets player was sent to the sin-bin.

Murgon took full advantage, scoring two tries – by Arthur Saltner and Maurice Fisher – while the Cherbourg player was off.

With 28 minutes to go in the half, Murgon was ahead 12-6 and continued to press their advantage.

Cherbourg then looked to have crossed again, only to be called back for a forward pass.

But two minutes later, frustrated Cherbourg fans erupted as Thomas Simpson barged over the line and Alex Speedy’s conversion evened the scores at 12-all.

Cherbourg scored twice more – and Murgon once – before half-time.

At the break, Cherbourg led 24-16 but the Mustangs were still well in the game.

They tried to strike back after the restart, but their initial push to the Hornets’ line was centimetres short.

The battle continued for almost 15 minutes before Charlie Bond broke the tension, plucking an across-field kick out the air and scoring in the corner for Cherbourg.

Four minutes later, Fred Bell notched up his second try for Cherbourg, which Bernard Hopkins converted.

The scoreline was starting to blow out: 34-16.

Murgon scored twice more before full-time but it wasn’t enough to cut down the Hornets’ lead.

The Mustangs kept on attacking until the end, but the scoreline read 40-24 when full-time sounded.

Cherbourg tries were scored by Fred Bell (2), Tyreese Gyemore, Thomas Simpson, Errol Simpson, Charlie Bond and Keith Gadd.

Goals were kicked by Alex Speedy (3) and Bernard Hopkins (3).

For Murgon, tries were scored by Maurice Fisher (2), Arthur Saltner, Jameel Sullivan and Shane Borninkhof. Daron Saltner-Bligh kicked two goals.

Tyreese Gyemore put the first points on the board in the A Grade Grand Final
Paddy Alberts was certain he had scored … but the ref wasn’t convinced
No doubt about this one … Thomas Simpson grounds the ball over the line at the feet of the referee
Errol Simpson celebrates after scoring for the Hornets ahead of half-time
Murgon began the second half on the attack but this try attempt in the corner was centimetres short
Cherbourg players and supporters celebrate after the A Grade trophy presentation
Hornets’ Keith Gadd Jnr was presented with the Charles “Chaz” Williams Memorial Shield for the “Best & Most Respected Player” … Chaz, a well-known local footballer, died in 2015 and the shield is presented in his honour by the Williams family annually on Grand Final Day

Aunty Grace Stanley with Cherbourg Hornets’ veteran Bernard Hopkins

A Grade Man Of The Match Tyreese Gyemore with Uncle Warry Stanley
In the pink … Murgon’s local councillor Kathy Duff with the A Grade Grand Final officials: linesman Andy Dascombe, referee Rob Grogan and linesman Rob Zelinksi
Hornets’ volunteers were kept busy in the canteen serving the big crowd

* * *

Under 14s Grand Final

The Under 14s Murgon Mustangs celebrate after their Grand Final win

The Under 14s Grand Final was a tussle between local favourites Murgon – whose fans packed the stand – and the Kingaroy Red Ants.

It was an even contest which had supporters yelling from the sidelines.

Murgon started strongly, pressuring the Kingaroy line.

Possession changed hands a couple of times before Damon Cooper put the first points on the board for the Mustangs. Trent Aubrey converted, and Murgon led 6-0.

Three minutes later, Harrison Braithwaite struck back for Kingaroy, scoring in the corner. The goal attempt was waved away, leaving the Mustangs ahead.

Before half-time, Murgon put on two more tries – by Zach Harris and Darryl Gyemore (under the posts).  Both were converted.

As the siren sounded, Brayden Watcho-Page scored in the corner for Kingaroy, taking the half-time score to 18-8.

Kingaroy went on the attack in the second stanza, with Liam Irwin scoring almost immediately after the restart, followed a short time later by a try to Fletcher Prain.

With 19 minutes left in the game, Murgon’s lead had been sliced to 18-16.

For the next 10 minutes, the result could have gone either way, before Zach Harris scored his second try for the afternoon after a zig-zagging run, shaking off defenders.

Murgon was now ahead 22-16, but Kingaroy was on the attack – looking for a converted try to even the scores – when the full-time hooter sounded.

Murgon tries were scored by Zach Harris (2), Damon Cooper and Darryl Gyemore. Trent Aubrey kicked two goals and Mervyn Law kicked one.

For Kingaroy, tries were scored by Harrison Braithwaite, Brayden Watcho-Page, Liam Irwin and Fletcher Prain.

Murgon Mustangs’ Nick Webb was named Player Of The Match.

Zach Harris spins out of a Kingaroy tackle to score his second try for the Murgon Mustangs
A desperate lunge by a Murgon defender brings a breakaway run by the Red Ants’ Thomas Beil to a sudden end

The Murgon U14s run on the field …

… followed quickly by the Kingaroy Red Ants

Team Of The Century legend Allan Trunks presented the Man of the Match trophy in Under 14s to Murgon Mustangs’ Nick Webb

Murgon captain Dustin Ramke was presented with the Under 14s Premiership trophy by NRL Game Development Officer Mitch Sargent
The Kingaroy Red Ants could hold their heads high after their narrow defeat in the Under 14s Grand Final

Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.