August 4, 2021
The 2021 Kingaroy BaconFest – due to start in just over two weeks – has been cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The organising committee made the announcement on social media on Wednesday morning.
The festival was to be held in the Kingaroy CBD on August 20-22.
This is the second year in a row the pandemic has forced organisers to cancel the event.
The decision joins a growing list of cancellations or postponements, including the Brisbane Ekka, Gympie Music Muster, Dinner With The Captains, Scots In The Bush and Nanango PlayFEST.
“Whilst we are heartbroken BaconFest cannot be held this year, the safety of our local community, all stakeholders and visitors is paramount,” Chief Baconeer Kristy Board said.
“With COVID-19 numbers on the rise, we simply can’t take that kind of risk. We trust you will understand this decision and we wish to thank you so much for your support.
“For our baconeers who have already purchased tickets, you’ll receive an email shortly regarding options, including a full refund.
“Although we’re devastated we’re also determined to return bigger and better in 2022!
“Our 2022 dates are August 19-21 so please lock those into your calendar – third time’s a charm!”
Tickets for both the Wine and Swine dinner party and the Long Table Breakfast were sold out and a large number of general admission tickets had also been sold.
Kristy said celebrity chef Miguel Maestre was in lockdown in Sydney and a large number of food vendors, and performers – including Pinup Pageant co-ordinator Betty Butcher – were in lockdown in Brisbane.
“In addition, we feel that it’s not the right time to be bringing large crowds of people into our community when the South Burnett has so far remained relatively COVID free,” she said.
Ms Board said thousands of volunteer hours had been spent brainstorming, planning and mapping out this year’s event.
SunPork Fresh Foods executive general manager Rhys Collins said while the decision to postpone was disappointing, it was the right thing to do.
“We’d like to thank the BaconFest Committee for all their hard work up to this point and look forward to a bigger and brighter 2022,” Mr Collins said.