July 30, 2021
The venues for the finals of the South Burnett Rugby League competition have been confirmed, with Cherbourg to host the A Grade and Under 14s Grand Finals.
The finals series, sponsored by Ken Mills Isuzu Ute, will start in four weeks, so mark your diaries!
- August 28 – Major and Minor Semi-Finals – Kingaroy (Under 14s & A Grade)
- September 4 – Preliminary Finals – Murgon (Under 14s & A Grade)
- September 11 – Grand Finals – Cherbourg (Under 14s & A Grade)
There are just four more rounds of the regular season left to play.
Games this weekend are at Cherbourg (see below), to be followed by rounds at Kingaroy, Murgon and Nanango.
The Nanango Stags are planning a big “From The Country To The Country” day at Fred Kassulke Oval for the last round of fixtures on August 21.
Last weekend, Kingaroy hosted two A Grade plus U14s, U15s and U16s games while the annual Mini Mods Carnival (see below) attracted hundreds of players and supporters to Wondai Sportsground.
The Mini-Mods games, from U6s through to U12s, were played back-to-back under modified rules and ensured that lots of youngsters enjoyed time on the field.
* * *
Cherbourg Hornets ran away in the second half of the first A Grade game last Saturday, defeating the Wondai Wolves 46-24, after the scores were locked 18-all at half-time.
Cherbourg tries were scored by Frederick Bell (3), Keith Gadd (3), Daniel Cobbo, Norman Wragge and Thomas Simpson.
Errol Simpson kicked three goals and Frederick Bell kicked two.
For Wondai, tries were scored by Alfred Watcho, Michael Rae, Steve Langton and William Langton.
Alex Georgetown kicked the four conversions.
* * *
In the second A Grade game, Murgon 58 defeated Kingaroy 20 after overhauling an early Red Ants’ lead to be ahead 24-16 at half time.
Murgon tries were scored by Elwyn Fewquandie (2), Luke Dudgeon, Michael Giles, Maurie Fisher, Jameel Sullivan, Jonathan Walsh, Shane Borninkhof, Louis Hopkins and Dwayne Malone.
Goals were kicked by Chris Bond (4), Dwayne Malone (3), Jameel Sullivan and Louis Hopkins.
Kingaroy try scorers were Corey Cross (2) and Andy Champney (2). Ashley Smallwood kicked two goals.
* * *
- In Under 14s, Kingaroy 44 defeated Nanango 0.
Kingaroy try scorers were Tommy Beil (3), Lawson Braithwaite, Harrison Braithwaite, Rory Crumpton, Fletcher Prain and Tommy Larsen.
Lawson Braithwaite kicked four goals, and Carter Page and Rory Crumpton kicked one apiece.
- In the second Under 14s game, played at Chinchilla, Murgon Mustangs 30 defeated Chinchilla Bulldogs 22.
* * *
- In Under 15s, South Burnett Eagles defeated Southern Suburbs Tigers 32-28.
South Burnett tries were scored by Casey Jones (2), Billy Maikie, Joe Fisher, Tyrell Leedie, Chris Simpson and Mick Almond. James Jacobs and Billy Maikie each kicked a goal.
For the Tigers, tries were scored by Alan Duncan (2), Ricardo Burns, Patrick Sanderson and Kallem James. Taite Cameron kicked three goals and Thomas Beezley kicked one.
* * *
- In Under 16s, South Burnett defeated Southern Suburbs Tigers 16-6.
South Burnett tries were scored by Malakie Swan, Jamail Mackie and Tyrell Hopkins. Jayden Tewes-Smallwood kicked two goals.
For the Tigers, Liam Crocker scored one goal, which was converted by Harry Eyers.
* * *
* * *
Wondai Wolves’ big day of junior football attracted a total of 45 teams to the Wondai Sportsground last Saturday.
All South Burnett clubs had players taking part … sometimes donning different jerseys to help out visiting teams!
Multiple teams came from clubs in Maryborough, Hervey Bay, Gympie, the Fraser Coast and Caboolture.
The Under 6s, Under 8s, Under 10s and Under 12s played across six fields.
Unlike previous years, there was no Grand Final played in the Under 12s due to a change in rules.
* * *
* * *
This Week’s Games
- 8:00am – Under 12 – Kingaroy 1 v Murgon 2
- 8:50am – Under 14 – Kingaroy v Murgon
- 10:00am – Under 6s
- 10:45am – Under 8s
- 11:30am – Under 10 – Kingaroy 1 v Murgon 2
- 12:30pm – Under 10 – Kingaroy 2 v Murgon 1
- 1:10pm – Under 10 – Nanango v Wondai / Cherbourg
- 2:00pm – Under 12 – Murgon 1 v Cherbourg
- 2:50pm – Under 12 – Nanango v Kingaroy 2
- 3:45pm – A Grade – Nanango v Wondai
- 5:15pm – A Grade – Cherbourg v Kingaroy
- 1:00pm – Under 14 – Chinchilla v Nanango
- Under 15 – Pittsworth v South Burnett
- Under 16 – Pittsworth v South Burnett
- Under 15 – South Burnett Eagles Women v Toowoomba Brothers
At Warwick on Sunday:
- 11:30am – Under 18 – Warwick v South Burnett
[UPDATED with correction]