April 16, 2021
Two QRL junior games – and an A Grade double header – attracted a good crowd of rugby league fans to T.J. O’Neill Oval in Kingaroy on Saturday.
The local crowd was backing the two Wide Bay Bulls’ teams – Under 16s and Under 18s – which were in action against the Sunshine Coast Falcons.
Both Bulls’ teams included some South Burnett players but the local support couldn’t stop the Wide Bay teams going home empty-handed despite a brave effort in both games.
This is the first season the Bulls have had an Under 16s team in the Cyril Connell Challenge, and the first for “a long, long time” they’ve been in the Under 18s Mal Meninga Cup.
The Falcons were at an obvious advantage as they can train together, which showed in both games.
* * *
The Bulls started strongly in the Under 16s, and were 10-all at half-time.
However, the Falcons soared away in the second half, keeping Wide Bay scoreless until Cayleb Johnson scored a last-gasp try for the Bulls inside the last minute, taking the final score to 42-14.
- Sunshine Coast Falcons tries: Jed Zerk (2), Zac Garton (2), Brock Thomas, Jayden Smith, Spencer Abbott and Tulloch McLellan. Zac Herdegen kicked five goals.
- Wide Bay Bulls tries: Adam Khan, Harry Armstrong and Cayleb Johnson. Ryan Bugeja kicked one conversion.
* * *
It was a sadder story for the Bulls in Under 18s, with the Falcons recording a 76-0 demolition.
- Sunshine Coast Falcons tries: Ryan Hargreaves (5), Mason Peut (2), Harry Dwyer (2), Kahn Sutherland-Chan, Saxon Day, Jackson Russell, Mitchell Jennings and Elliot Smethills. Goals: Ryan Hargreaves (3) and Elliot Smethills (7).
* * *
In the South Burnett A Grade competition, Kingaroy Red Ants clocked up a similar demolition, downing the Wondai Wolves 60-0 after leading 28-0 at half-time.
- Kingaroy tries: Falutia Peti (3), Brady Roberts (2), Jayden Jarvis (2), Jack Sullivan, Adam Geiger, Andrew Champney and Jack Doggett. Blake Augustine kicked eight goals.
In the second A Grade game on the night, Nanango Stags retained its unbeaten record, defeating Murgon Mustangs by three tries in a much closer contest.
The final score was 44-26.
- Nanango tries: Patrick Gentry (2), Chris Clarke, Kieran Harvey, Matthew Mladenovic, Warwick Keating, Harley Farrar and Tyson Keating. Thomas Springate and Rhyse Simpson each kicked three goals.
- Murgon tries: Josiah Alberts (2), Arthur Saltner (2) and Lewis Hopkins. Chris Bond kicked three goals.
* * *
In Round 1 of the Toowoomba JRL Under 18s competition, Gatton defeated the South Burnett Eagles 44-10 at Gatton.
Killian Klease and Ryan Brunjes scored the South Burnett tries and Toby Schmidt kicked one goal.
* * *
This Week’s Games
Two A Grade games will be played at Murgon Sportsground on Saturday:
- 2:00pm – Cherbourg Hornets v Nanango Stags
- 3:30pm – Murgon Mustangs v Wondai Wolves
South Burnett Eagles Under 18s will be playing the Pittsworth Danes from 2:15pm at Drayton.
South Burnett junior grades will resume next weekend.
For the diary: July 17 – QRL Intrust Super Cup game at Murgon Sportsground