February 5, 2021
Dwayne Malone hit a smashing century to help seal Murgon Crusaders’ victory over Gympie Colts at Murgon Sportsground last Saturday.
Crusaders started Day 2 of the two-day competition with a first innings tally of 123, enjoying a handy lead over Colts’ 80.
But then Malone walked to the crease and started hitting fours and sixes as he demolished the Colts’ attack.
In an incredible innings – which even stunned the umpires – Malone reached 106 runs off just 45 balls, including 10 sixes, before being caught behind.
Murgon declared at 192, setting a second innings target of 235 for Gympie to overhaul.
Colts fell short, finishing 9/141 giving Murgon a first innings win.
In Gympie, Wooroolin Warriors (9/228) defeated Valleys (95/88) outright.
* * *
Junior Wide Bay Championships
Fraser Coast defeated South Burnett by six wickets in their U14 game played at Maryborough.
South Burnett won the toss and batted first.
At the end of their 50 overs, the were 10/150 with Braidyn Scott 24 not out and Oscar Dioth 24.
In reply, Fraser Coast overhauled the target in the 38th over for the loss of four wickets.
Thomas Town 1/7 and Oscar Dioth 1/7 were the pick of the South Burnett bowlers.
* * *
South Burnett Junior Cricket
- Nanango (6/105) tied with Kingaroy Burnett Water (2/105) at Nanango Sportsground.
- Nanango (7/125) defeated Kingaroy Burnett Water (8/99) by 26 runs at Nanango Sportsground.
Nanango won the toss and sent Kingaroy in.
Blake Manthey (27) and Aaron Draper (14 not out) top scored for Kingaroy.
Lachlan Cullen (3/1) and Oscar Dioth (2/4) were the best of the Nanango bowlers.
In reply, Cullen also starred with the bat for Nanango, finishing 29 not out, with Braidyn Scott 21 not out.
Josh Kruger (3/5) and Jackson Kerkow (1/9) finished with the best statistics for Kingaroy.
* * *
South Burnett Senior Cricket
Murgon Diggers defeated Kumbia Rattlers at Murgon Sportsground.
The home team won the toss and elected to bat and were all out for 182 in the last over.
Riley Sippel (43) and Joe Meikle (41) top scored for Murgon.
Dean Cullen (2/12), Daniel Trace (2/22) and Warren Cross (3/25) were the best of the Kumbia bowlers.
In reply, Kumbia were all out for 74 in the 19th over.
Corey Cross top scored for the Rattlers, finishing not out 33.
Renee Irvine (3/20) did the damage for Murgon, taking the Rattlers’ top three batters.
In other games:
- Nanango Scorpions 9/249 def. Kingaroy Services 6/238 by 11 runs at Nanango Sportsground.
- No result is available for the Wooroolin Warriors v Wondai Wolves match at Lyle Vidler Oval.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
- Stage 1 – Round 1 at River Road Park, Kingaroy
- Stage 2 – Kingaroy Northern AgriServices v Kingaroy Burnett Water at Taabinga State School
- Stage 3 – Kingaroy Burnett Water v Murgon at Kingaroy State School
- Kumbia Rattlers v Wooroolin Warriors at Kumbia Sportsground
- Kingaroy Services v Murgon Diggers at Taabinga State School
- Cherbourg v Nanango Scorpions at Murgon State High School
Wondai has the bye
Gympie A Grade
Both South Burnett teams will be playing in Gympie for Day 1 of Round 3 of the two-day competition.
- Murgon Crusaders v Harlequins
- Wooroolin Warriors v Western Gympie