December 10, 2020
Nanango’s Lee Park hosted a large crowd of racegoers on Saturday for its annual Christmas Races, despite the sweltering temperatures.
The temperature got so high at one point there were concerns the meeting might need to be abandoned midway.
But fortunately the mercury didn’t go over the critical limit that would have forced Nanango Race Club officials’ hands.
Trackside, most punters kept under the shade of the covered awnings, the betting ring, the main grandstand and the canteen for most of the day, only venturing out into the sunshine towards late afternoon.
As usual for the past few meetings, guests had to supply their contact tracing details at the main gate and were encouraged to use the hand sanitisers spread around the course.
But beyond these now common emblems of the pandemic, the meeting proceeded along its usual course.
The fashion theme was “Jingle All The Way To The Races” and the few guests who dressed for it competed for Moffatdale Ridge wine prizes.
Most others favoured comfort above couture, dressing down for summer with casual clothes and – for one group – matching loud shirts.
In the betting ring, punters had to choose from small fields for all the day’s races, but the quality of the horses was high.
Favourites were unable to secure a win in any of the day’s five races, much to the delight of bookies and the chagrin of punters.
Nanango Race Club’s next meeting – which will be the first race meeting in the South Burnett for 2021 – will be held on Saturday, February 13.
* * *
Race 1 – Star Tyre Power Kingaroy Class B Handicap (1000m)
1. Oakfield Comanche (1) – Hannah Phillips
2. Leica Firecracker (3) – Kelly Gates
2. Rockshore (4) – Chris Meehan
Margins: 2 lengths x 3 1/4 lengths
Race 2 – Malcolm McCallum Memorial Open Handicap (1000m)
1. All Eez (2) – Jason Missen
2. Music Scene (5) – Shannyn Stephan
3. Viceman (3) – Hannah Phillips
Margins: 1 1/2 lengths x 2 lengths
Race 3 – Three Way Photos Maiden Plate (1200m)
1. Carlton Star (1) – Chris Meehan
2. Just For Glory (5) – Hannah Richardson
3. Miss Pixie (8) – Shannyn Stephan
Margins: Length x 4 lengths
Race 4 – Nanango RSL / Pederson Memorial / Burnett To The Valley BenchMark 60 Handicap (1200m)
1. Wild Element (2) – Robert Faehr
2. Turbo Teddy (4) – Hannah Phillips
3. Run Pam Run (1) – Hannah Richardson
Margins: 3/4 length x 1 3/4 lengths
Race 5 – Heritage Bank Nanango BenchMark 55 Handicap (1600m)
1. Craiglea Arion (3) – Hannah Richardson
2. Fury Of The Storm (2) – Kelly Gates
3. My Certain (1) – Robert Faehr
Margins: 8 1/4 lengths x 7 1/2 lengths
- View videos of all five races on the Nanango Race Club’s YouTube Channel