Firefighters had to cut their way into the building to douse the flames

November 20, 2020

A fire which badly damaged the Nanango Men’s Shed late on Thursday night is being treated as suspicious.

Emergency services were called to the blaze in Mount Stanley Road about 12:40am.

Upon arrival they found a fire burning outside the shed which had spread to the interior.

Firefighters cut through roller doors to extinguish the flames inside, however tools and machinery used by the Men’s Shed members is believed to have been badly damaged.

About 50 men regularly use the facility.  Projects they were working on were also destroyed.

Paramedics remained on standby while the four fire crews were in action, but no injuries were reported.

Firefighters had the fire extinguished and the area made safe by 2:30am but police remained at the scene.

A QFES fire investigator returned on Friday morning to continue an examination of the area.

Investigations are continuing.

* * *

The fire has occurred at a critical time for the Nanango Men’s Shed which was on the cusp of expanding.

The Shed, which is located on land belonging to the Baptist Church, was the dream of former pastor, the late Don Neibling.

It was officially opened, after fundraising from the local community and the support of Heritage Nanango Community Branch, in January 2014.

The group had recently received permission to relocate the Nanango SES’s former building to a site beside the shed.

This would provide more room for the members as well as serve as a memorial to Pastor Neibling who died in December last year.

* * *

Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington said it was devastating to hear about the fire.

“The Shed is like a second home to its members and the loss of this facility will be a very difficult time,” she said.

“While we can’t be sure what has happened just yet, if it was deliberate, then we should all be rightly shocked and dismayed that anyone would want to inflict such damage and hurt.

“I have contacted the men to offer my support.

“Knowing the members, they’ll bounce back as soon as they can, and I know the Nanango community will do all they can to help get the Shed open again.”

[UPDATED]

The fire is believed to have started outside the building and then spread to the interior
The rear of the Nanango Men’s Shed was badly damaged by the blaze
The front of the Men’s Shed escaped the flames however equipment inside was damaged
FLASHBACK: Darryl Wright and Alan Sheppard working on a project at the Nanango Men’s Shed in 2015
FLASHBACK: Heritage Community Branch representatives Bob Shaw, Robert Head, Andrew Black and Wayne Scott at the official opening in 2014

Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables
Position Vacant - click here