Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk (Photo: Twitter)

August 20, 2020

A woman who works at the Wacol Youth Detention Centre has tested posted to the COVID-19 virus.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed the case on Thursday morning.

“A woman who was sick still went to work … now a whole lot of contact tracing has to happen,” the Premier said.

Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said the woman, aged in her 70s, lives in the Ipswich area.

She said it was believed the woman first noticed symptoms on August 10 – although this was still to be clarified – but continued to go to work at the Detention Centre.

It is believed she worked five shifts while most likely infectious.

Dr Young said 130 youths in the detention centre and more than 500 staff were now being tested for COVID-19 and contact tracing had begun.

Premier Palaszczuk said fortunately visitors had been barred from the centre from July 27 until Monday (August 10) due to a previous scare in the Logan area.

This had limited some of the contact tracing that otherwise would have been necessary.

She again urged people who feel sick not to go to work but to get tested.

More than 9700 tests were carried out in Queensland over the past 24 hours.

There are currently eight active cases in the State.


Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables
Position Vacant, Hobbs And Associates, Wondai - click here

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.