July 13, 2020
One more confirmed case of COVID-19 was reported in Queensland on Monday, taking the State’s total of active cases to four.
Health Minister Steven Miles said the new case was a traveller returning from the United States who was now in quarantine.
The Sunshine Coast woman in her 30s is in hotel quarantine and is being managed by Metro North Hospital and Health Service.
This was the third new case to be reported within days: at the weekend two new cases were revealed, both Australian Defence Force personnel returning from overseas.
In Victoria, 177 new confirmed cases were reported on Monday, following 273 new cases on Sunday and 216 on Saturday.
In NSW, 14 new cases have been confirmed in the past 24 hours: four overseas travellers, two NSW residents who had been in Victoria; and eight linked to a hotel in south-western Sydney.
- Editorial: COVID-19: We Must Do Better!
* * *
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced the start of a human clinical trial in Brisbane for a potential COVID-19 vaccine.
Volunteers will receive their first dose of the vaccine this week, developed by researchers led by Prof Paul Young at the University of Queensland.
Preliminary results of the trial – which has enlisted 120 volunteers – are expected to be released by the end of September.
It is one of a number of trials occurring in Australia and overseas.
* * *
The State Government re-issued a public health alert on Monday urging Queenslanders who visited NSW’s Crossroads Hotel between July 3-10 inclusive to get COVID-19 tested and isolate immediately.
The hotel, located at Casula, is the hub for a cluster of COVID-19 cases.
Thirteen people have so far tested positive, with about 1000 people asked to self-isolate.
A second hotel at Picton has also been closed.
Deputy Premier Steven Miles said the Crossroads Hotel was a busy stopover for many travellers, so it was very likely there were a number of Queenslanders who had been there during this period.
There are testing facilities right across Queensland including GPs, fever clinics and pop-up clinics. Locations are on the Queensland Health website
* * *
Six Victorian travellers have been fined for trying to enter Queensland with false border declarations on the Gold Coast at the weekend.
Police intercepted a minivan on Saturday night where all six occupants were refused entry at the M1 border control check point.
On Sunday, officers intercepted the same van on Stuart Street in Coolangatta about 2:00pm.
After speaking with the 19-year-old male driver, it will be alleged the same group were attempting to cross with border with declarations falsely claiming they had not been in Victoria in the previous 14 days.
All six people, including two 19-year-old women and four men aged 18, 19, 23 and 28-years-old, were fined $4003 for failing to comply with the COVID-19 Border Direction.
Since July 10, more than 850 people have been refused entry to Queensland.
- Queensland COVID-19 statistics
- Australian COVID-19 statistics
- World COVID-19 statistics (John Hopkins University)