June 16, 2020
Up to 100 people can now attend funerals in Queensland after the State Government eased more COVID-19 restrictions this week.
The revised Health Direction took effect on Tuesday (June 16).
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said limiting attendances at funerals had been the most difficult direction she had been forced to impose.
“There have been occasions where I have had to decline exemptions because of the COVID-19 risk,” she said.
“These are tough, heart-wrenching decisions to make but they’ve unfortunately been necessary to prevent transmission of this disease, particularly among gatherings that include a lot of vulnerable people.
“I’m relieved that we have contained COVID-19 to the point where we can begin lifting limitations on important events like funerals.”
Funeral organisers must keep a record of attendees for eight weeks in case contact tracing becomes necessary later.
Dr Young said weddings remained capped at 20 guests because they could be postponed, unlike funerals. However, up to 100 people can attend a wedding if the wedding venue opts into the relevant industry safe plan.
The 100 attendees only applies to funerals; it does not apply to wakes.
Wakes are considered a gathering and therefore are subject to the relevant requirements for the venue.
* * *
Queensland’s COVID-19 tally remained at 1065 on Monday, with no new cases recorded.
There were just five active cases across the State: two patients in the Gold Coast health region, and one each in the Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast and Metro South regions.
One of these patients was in an intensive care unit in hospital.
There were still 3162 people in active self-quarantine across the State (including 66 in the Darling Downs Health region); 63,341 people had completed self-quarantine.
Across Australia, there have been a total of 7345 confirmed cases of COVID-19 so far (including 102 deaths); 392 of these confirmed cases are still active.
There were 15 new confirmed cases reported on Monday: three in NSW and 12 in Victoria.